Ford Fans on Cold Case 26"

-

SABLT194

Reaction score
Searched but did not find

I see the Ford fans fit nicely on Champion 26". Anyone put one on a Cold Case 26"?

pretty sure all of those are on a Champion rad , not a Cold Case
my bad, misread it. if you just want fans for a 26", does it matter? either way your putting a fan setup on something that was never meant to have it, you'll probably be doing some fab work anyway

The shroud brackets on the Champion and Cold Case units should be pretty much the same give or take a hole position.

The shroud brackets on the Champion and Cold Case units should be pretty much the same give or take a hole position.
and there's usually enough of a rail to redrill in a new location too

I'm just getting past some overheating issues and used a Cold Case 26" rad and 2 12" Spal puller fans to do it. Stupid easy job actually. I mounted on side of each fan on to the radiator brackets and the others i tied together using a couple of spal fan mount feet+bars to tie them together. I actually had a set of contour fans here and they wouldn't fit in 71 Swinger with a 440. So if you haven't already bought one I would recommend going with a couple of Spal puller fans and calling it a day...I'm happy I finally did.

I'm just getting past some overheating issues and used a Cold Case 26" rad and 2 12" Spal puller fans to do it. Stupid easy job actually. I mounted on side of each fan on to the radiator brackets and the others i tied together using a couple of spal fan mount feet+bars to tie them together. I actually had a set of contour fans here and they wouldn't fit in 71 Swinger with a 440. So if you haven't already bought one I would recommend going with a couple of Spal puller fans and calling it a day...I'm happy I finally did.
Thanks - Were the Ford Fans too thick? Gotta pic?

Not the best but this was right after I installed the rad and fans. Hadn’t even hooked up hoses yet.

0E585FAE-B40D-4093-821C-24AF3DAA5DEC.jpeg

Chevy HHR fan on a Champion 26" radiator. It requires cutting the plastic cover off of the motor, mounting the fan motor on the other side of the fan mounting and modifications to mount it to the radiator. That's the downside, the upside is that this radiator only cost $50 through RockAuto ( Dorman replacement) and it does a terrific job of calling my 500 horsepower 418 cubic inch small block. It's a tight fit but my engine now runs 180 to 190° in traffic. Runs a little warmer about 200° when driving down the highway.

20180421_222228.jpg
20180421_222220.jpg

20180421_222218.jpg

Chevy HHR fan on a Champion 26" radiator. It requires cutting the plastic cover off of the motor, mounting the fan motor on the other side of the fan mounting and modifications to mount it to the radiator. That's the downside, the upside is that this radiator only cost $50 through RockAuto ( Dorman replacement) and it does a terrific job of calling my 500 horsepower 418 cubic inch small block. It's a tight fit but my engine now runs 180 to 190° in traffic. Runs a little warmer about 200° when driving down the highway.

View attachment 1715570484 View attachment 1715570485

View attachment 1715570488
Nice job. Looks like you put the 26 in a stock 22 opening without cutting the rad support.

Nice job. Looks like you put the 26 in a stock 22 opening without cutting the rad support.

That's because it'll fit. It'll even fit the early A bodies, as there is over 27" between the frame rails. You can pretty much fit anything anywhere with some creative thinking and fabbing. That's what it takes sometimes. Just jump in anywhere and get it done.

So, I purchased a 26" Cold Case MOP750A and a Ford Contour fan. Adapting the fan to the CC radiator will be pretty simple, but the stack up will put the fan into the water pump pully. Looks like I'm going to need to find about 1/2" somewhere to end up with 1/4" clearance. Probably will be a combination of strategies (trimming plastic, mods to rad support, shorten Water Pump, etc)

Bottom line is, it's not a wham bam deal for CC 26" and Contour fans on an A body with a SBM.

So, I purchased a 26" Cold Case MOP750A and a Ford Contour fan. Adapting the fan to the CC radiator will be pretty simple, but the stack up will put the fan into the water pump pully. Looks like I'm going to need to find about 1/2" somewhere to end up with 1/4" clearance. Probably will be a combination of strategies (trimming plastic, mods to rad support, shorten Water Pump, etc)

Bottom line is, it's not a wham bam deal for CC 26" and Contour fans on an A body with a SBM.

Interesting. The cold case 26” radiator must be thicker than a 3 core 26” champion radiator then? Or maybe just the mounting flange puts it further back.

Have any pictures of that set up with the fans mounted? Not sure where you’re measuring, it’s worth noting that the thickest measurement on the Contour fans is to the motors, but in the middle where the water pump pulley sits it’s not as thick as at the motors.

Big 2 row 1 1/4" core is about 3/8" thicker than a 3 row aluminum. Everything else clearance wise should be the same.

So, I purchased a 26" Cold Case MOP750A and a Ford Contour fan. ...but the stack up will put the fan into the water pump pully.
have you acually tried installing it yet or just measured the stack thickness? if the valley between the fans lines up in the right place it still might clear the WP pulley

FYI Cold Case MOP750A 26" radiator measures 3.16" from rad support mounting flange to the fins/tubes on the pulley side. Contour fan measures 1.69 from rad side to plastic grid between the 2 fans. So, the stack up is 4.85". Hope that helps some else in the future.

Edited 10.18 AM

If the water pump pulley nose hits the shroud, and you got the room, trim the shroud to allow the nose to project into it and then epoxy a PVC end cap on the inside of the shroud. Itll be a **** to take off but it will fit. Not sure how you could manage this but where there is a will, there is a way. I always thought the remote electric pump with shogun adapters was a great idea for the RB nose in an LA bay. Get rid of the stock WP housing all together and have a pump that you can regulate.

Believe it or not I'm actually thinking my path of least resistance and the cleaner look will be to move the motor and trans back 1/2". I don't have a dizzy anymore, it's just a small cam position sensor. Need to check header fit, and need to modify column shifter mount as well as the trans mount. DS is going to be a custom made aluminum anyway so that's a non issue. Hmmm.

-
Back