Found a Source for 10” rear drums with 1-3/4” shoe

-

g413

Reaction score
View attachment IMG_0570.jpg

View attachment IMG_0571.jpg

I bought a 1967 Barracuda off eBay with the back brakes very neglected. The rivets on one of the brake shoes had become exposed and badly gored the rear drum. My rear brakes are 10” x 1-3/4” with a SBP. After ordering the wrong drum twice, I decided to do more careful investigation.

I discovered from this site that those drums were no longer made. A couple of guys know these are rare and are charging about $240 on eBay and Amazon. Most of the parts houses listed a Centric “premium” drum, Model 122.63044, that looked correct. But nobody had them.

So I looked up Centric’s phone number and called them in Southern California. I was going to tell them there was a demand for these drums, and they should make some more -- it doesn‘t hurt to ask. The drums are actually made in China. The lady that answered the phone said that drum was no longer made, but they have replaced by a “standard” drum, C-tek #123.63044. They had them in stock.

I told her that none of the distributors even knew about this drum, and what could I do? She ask my zip code and gave me the phone number of a Fast Undercar shop (a West Coast franchise) in Fresno. I called the guy on Wednesday and picked up two drums on Thursday. Cost was $69 + tax (each) and I didn’t need to pay any shipping.

There is a major communications gap between Centric and all the parts suppliers. An email from RockAuto said that Centric had not furnished them that part number, and they couldn’t special order them -- go figure. If you can’t get your supplier to furnish these, have them call Centric and use that part number. Or call Centric yourself at 800-758-3004 and ask for a supplier in your area.

Do NOT assume there is an infinite source of these drums. If you need them, get them soon.

I waited to post this before I actually confirmed they fit on the car. They do fit -- tight as a drum.

Nice detective work G413! I just looked up that number on Centrics site and they show it to be a new arrival as of May 2014. I hope they continue to make them.:blob:

Oh, is this gonna make a lot of people happy, and a few vendors upset!! Thanks for rooting these out, I'm gonna seek out a few of these myself!! Geof

Good detective work! I'd say those are a good find for somebody really in a pinch, but my opinion is that it's still better to source out good original pieces when it's possible. Anybody with Chinese Brake hardware experience knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Just checked Rock Auto for my 1971 Duster 340 and these (123.63044) are listed as available for $31.79 each before any coupon offers.

I wish a good Mopar fellow member would order me a pair and ship them to me!!!:blob:

Hey Cudacox - that's no problem! Ulf (65 Dartcharger) asks if I would buy something since the supplier will not ship overseas. I buy and ship, he paypal's me the cost of the item and the shipping to him. No big deal. Drop me a PM and we can go from there.

Sold Centric brake parts at a Fast Undercar store. I had good luck ,with selling their product.

Hey Cudacox - that's no problem! Ulf (65 Dartcharger) asks if I would buy something since the supplier will not ship overseas. I buy and ship, he paypal's me the cost of the item and the shipping to him. No big deal. Drop me a PM and we can go from there.
p.m.sent

Way to go on the sleuthing!

Doing a bing search of "centric 123.63044" came up with:

Summit $48.97 each.

Rakuten.com $33 each. $77.97 pair shipped.

Parts geek $37.23 each. $83.41 pair shipped.

I ordered a pair from Rock Auto - $82 and change shipped.

Excellent detective work, g413, and thanks to the guy who made this a sticky. I never bit at the >$200 ea ebay prices and found a nice used pair for $40 last summer.

I found the attached under Centric's "new arrivals, May 2014" (hope they don't sue me for copying). Hopefully, PN 123.63044 will work its way into the supply chain. Amazing how everybody links to the same parts database, so when there is an error all say "not avail". I don't find the PN on rockauto (nor by vehicle app), so might have sold out. www.rakuten.com seems the best current source for a pair at $84.60 w/ shipping (U.S. lower 48 ). Some ebay sellers will have to lower their exhorbitant prices, unless they can unload stock to unwitting owners who don't frequent this site.

Attachments

• Dart rear drum - Centric 123_63044.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,926
I don't find the PN on rockauto (nor by vehicle app), so might have sold out.

Bill - I used the part number at Rock Auto and it came right up. Got 2 on order with expected delivery around 3rd/4th of Jan

I just checked Rock Auto as I need two drums for my 69 Barracuda. Looks like they are out of stock as the part number wasn't recognized by part number or application. Looks like we're going to have to wait for the next slow boat from China. I'm sure they will restock them as it appears to be a hot item.

I just checked on the status of the 2 I ordered - they are currently enroute and either at or left the FedEx facility in Pecos TX. They were shipped from The City of Industry CA on 12/29.

Last I checked Raybestos/Dana corp still makes the drums and small bolt disc's. They go by Brake Parts now up in McHenry IL if someone wanted to look them up.

I got a set from O'reilly a couple of weeks ago. Not sure on the part number but it was their brand. Had to order from warehouse but only took two days. They said 49.99 but negotiated price to 34.99 each.

Last I checked Raybestos/Dana corp still makes the drums and small bolt disc's. They go by Brake Parts now up in McHenry IL if someone wanted to look them up.

I went to the following website which as stated above:
http://www.brakepartsinc.com/products.php

When using the PRODUCTS feature at the previously listed website, if you select DRUMS, you are re-directed to the Raybestos website and you can select your MAKE, MODEL and YEAR, then SEARCH using the online CATALOG.

When I selected DRUMS for my 1971 Plymouth Duster 340 (it is a factory 340 Duster - VS29H1B), the only DRUMS listed as available were the 9" inch variety.

There was no listing available for 10" inch rear DRUMS for either a 1971 Plymouth Duster or 1969 - 1971 Dodge Dart.

If Raybestos still makes the 10" rear drums that work on the SBP 8 3/4" rear axle found on the factory 340 cars from 1968- 72, and some other Abodies of that period including V-8 equipped and police units, it is not listed on either the BRAKE PARTS INC or RAYBESTOS websites.

I did find that Rock Auto AGAIN lists the Centric 123.63044 part as available so they must have received another shipment.

:cheers: got mine from rock auto today. We shall see if they fit in the morning but they do look correct

No heat in garage and its 9 degrees so we will wait lol

The 2 I ordered from Rock Auto got delivered by FedEx today. In fact, the outer shipping box was from Centrix. Anyway, these are the real deal. Thought I'd pass along the info.

-
Back