Fresh Rebuilt 904 locked up

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
Fresh rebuilds on 65 engine and 904 ( Console shifter, dual cable ). Problem with intake gasket so towed to shop next to machinist. Can't seen to get trans out of park ( assumed in park ). Tried various shifter positions and rocking but no go. Any ideas or anyone ever have similar problem ? THX

I have a really lame, lame guess, so we'll call this a bump for you Barge :toothy10:

Parking Brake on ? :rolleyes:

Try disconnecting the cable, and work the trans lever by hand...
That's what the shop will probably have to do tomorrow to push inside. I'm wondering about what will be when it gets reconnected. When the car was towed home from trans rebuilding shop I was told there was an issue with the park lock cable and it had to be ( I think ) rotated about 90 degrees for fit and was leaking a little ATF. Yep, that from the shop that rebuilt it. I've always had manuals so don't know jack about autos.

Hey Roger,maybe when they twisted it 90% it locked the rear brakes on?Or maybe it,s pinched somewhere and locked the brakes on?I,m sure they,ll get it figured out.You could just disconnect your emergency brake and go from there.Good Luck!

Hey Roger,maybe when they twisted it 90% it locked the rear brakes on?Or maybe it,s pinched somewhere and locked the brakes on?I,m sure they,ll get it figured out.You could just disconnect your emergency brake and go from there.Good Luck!

It's not the emer/parking brake. That was first thing checked when it occurred the first time. I found neutral with the stick next to "R". OK, so I'll know where things are in the future. Figured it might have something to do with the shift kit. Like I said, I don't know jack about an auto tranny. Now no matter how much searching and jiggling it won't free up.

I really appreciate the hints and advice. I guess I was hoping for someone to say: " Oh yea, it's probably the glammerfasmutater retainer is backwards", or some such. I just can't see why a tranny would lock up when the engine hasn't even been started yet. I was told as much Mopar ATF+4 as it would hold not running was put in. I know I didn't get any of my 12 qts back. All towing was done with the rear end raised. And the rebuilding shop had to push it outside to get towed. Why would it go into neutral then and now just not ?

THX again for the help !

Cable adjustment.

Would that mean the adjustments were put " somewhere in the vicinity" and not tightened properly ? And would it be the gear selector or park lock cable or both ?

Dumb ? I know. I just haven't a clue to how the dual cable arrangements works.

..............Ur 904 wont take 12 quarts..........no more than 9 with converter full, so u need 2 talk 2 them...............how far did u tow it with the drive shaft on?........how fast did u tow it?......the output shaft could of seized it the rear of the case.........take off the drive shaft and see if u can turn it with the yolk still in the trans.......kim........

..............Ur 904 wont take 12 quarts..........no more than 9 with converter full, so u need 2 talk 2 them...............how far did u tow it with the drive shaft on?........how fast did u tow it?......the output shaft could of seized it the rear of the case.........take off the drive shaft and see if u can turn it with the yolk still in the trans.......kim........

All towing was done with rear end raised and when I bought the case of ATF at the Dodge dealer I asked then to check capicity of a 65 904. I know I should have had at least 1 qt left even with the deeper pan ( add 1 qt ).

Thank you all, greatly appreciated. The trans is older than most of the wrenches working today and there just aren't that many "Mopar Guys" near here. I'm hoping green1 had it with cable adjustment. I figured FABO would have some expertise lurking around and was right. I finally found a diagram of the shifter and am thinking the "park lock cable mod" might have done it. But what do I know.....not jack.

THX again all; still open for suggestions in case this has happened to another.

I don't know a lot about auto tranny's either, but I will say this. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground and chocked before you crawl under it.

I don't know a lot about auto tranny's either, but I will say this. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground and chocked before you crawl under it.

Thank you Louie, appreciate the concern. Any crawling I do will be in my own garage with the vehicle on stands. With the arthritis there ain't much crawling done and not for long; that's the main reason I have to have so much done by others.

That happened to my tranny as well.I was having engine issues (bad gas) and had the car towed home. Was going to push it in the garage and couldn't move the car out of park no matter what gear it was in. I finally got the car started and then tried to shift it. It came out of park then. Tranny was low on fluid.

IIRC there is one cable for the gears, and one cable for park... I'm not a guru on the cable shifts but I think that's how it goes. If they screwed up the park cable it might be locked in park. You should be able to drop the pan and figure it out and manually take it our of park.

THX all for the responses. As of yesterday evening the pan was dropped and evidently the park lock cable came loose. Why it came loose is yet to be determined but hopefully I can at least drive it to my garage on Monday.
Again, many thanks.

-
Back