Friggin pinion nut not breaking loose....

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Planned on pulling the chunk (742) to install a suregrip and 4.30 gears set. Figured I'd break the pinion nut loose before starting. Got the car on the lift, PJ Blaster, parking break on, breaker bar with extension. Not budging. So much so that the parking brake isn't holding it. No problem, wedged 2x4s between the lugs and the ground. That stopped them from moving. No luck breaking it loose. Springs flexing but that frigging nut won't break free. Put a floor jack on the end of the breaker bar to get more leverage....nope. Was lifting the car off the lift and boards were cracking. WTF. Knew it'd be tough but geez! Soaking it overnight and will try again tomorrow, maybe heat it a bit. In the mean time, any ideas?

I guess worse case I'll just pull the chunk and bring it to a shop with a big *** impact. But that's pain in the butt too.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Pat

Soaking it will do nothing. It' held on with torque. A lot of it. A badass impact with a lot of air pressure is your friend.

You need a 6 foot section of pipe to slip over the breaker bar to make a real cheater bar.
I usually just use my hylift handle
I also use a 16" pipe wrench to steady the yoke.

Gonna need a big one and a big line.... But the right impact will end this conversation..

JW
I learned my method when I was a teen and had no compressor. the old electric impact wouldn't do it.
found what I needed in dad's tool box and used the hylift handle.

Impact wrench!
Gonna need a big one and a big line.... But the right impact will end this conversation..

JW
I'm old. I don't think the op has a compressor.
you guy's must have grown up with a shop and all the tools needed to do things the easy way. lol
Even with a big *** compressor and hi torque impact at my disposal, sometimes I still don't screw around and grab the jack handle. I even work outside in the gravel sometimes just to relive my youth. :D

you guy's must have grown up with a shop and all the tools needed to do things the easy way. lol
Even with a big *** compressor and hi torque impact at my disposal, sometimes I still don't screw around and grab the jack handle. I even work outside in the gravel sometimes just to relive my youth. :D

Oh yeah. Lemmie get the silver spoon outta my mouth.

You need a 6 foot section of pipe to slip over the breaker bar to make a real cheater bar.
I usually just use my hylift handle
I also use a 16" pipe wrench to steady the yoke.

Yeah, I used every trick I know, 3 to 6 foot breakers, used a floor jack on the breaker (literally was lifting the car off the lift pads). Look like a BF Impact is in order...Maybe an good excuse to buy one! LOL!

Thanks!

If you don't have a compressor, electric impacts 3/4 drive or larger can be rented, put a large pipe wrench on yoke to hold it and it should do the trick.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like a big mother f'ing impact is in order. I have a compression, but not a big impact. I'll either buy one or bring it into a local shop the has helped me out over the years.

Take care be well all,
Pat

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like a big mother f'ing impact is in order. I have a compression, but not a big impact. I'll either buy one or bring it into a local shop the has helped me out over the years.

Take care be well all,
Pat

The Ingersol Rand IM231 at "somewhere" above 120 PSI will probably do it.

...of course you don't use a torque wrench removing it, but here's the set up to tighten, reverse to passenger side and other side of the yolk to loosen..
beerestoration2017 1967.JPG
beerestoration2017 1968.JPG
beerestoration2017 1969.JPG

I was afraid the my impact would shatter the teeth off the ring gear, so... I made a tool to bolt onto the flange, and a long handle welded to it for an anchor; it didn't take long.
Makes short work of loosening that nut, and I never have warranty problems.
Butum I'm 220 so when I lean on stuff, generally it moves.

Hey folks,
Planned on pulling the chunk (742) to install a suregrip and 4.30 gears set. Figured I'd break the pinion nut loose before starting. Got the car on the lift, PJ Blaster, parking break on, breaker bar with extension. Not budging. So much so that the parking brake isn't holding it. No problem, wedged 2x4s between the lugs and the ground. That stopped them from moving. No luck breaking it loose. Springs flexing but that frigging nut won't break free. Put a floor jack on the end of the breaker bar to get more leverage....nope. Was lifting the car off the lift and boards were cracking. WTF. Knew it'd be tough but geez! Soaking it overnight and will try again tomorrow, maybe heat it a bit. In the mean time, any ideas?

I guess worse case I'll just pull the chunk and bring it to a shop with a big *** impact. But that's pain in the butt too.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Pat
I had the same thing happen to me, until my Buddy showed up with his Snap on impact I turned the air pressure up to 130psi and it barely got it off.

Some small amount of heat can help, it might have red loctite on it. I take them out and on to the vice with the floor jack handle on a 3/4” breaker bar. Comes right off easily. No cussing or injuries.

I wish Lol.... Nope, enough bar and weight will hold it down and make it move. If you really want power out of an airgun the compressor and airline is critical otherwise it doesn't help squat lol.... I use to setup R&P's for people and I got to where I would break the pinion nut before doing much else to get a mechanical advantage on it. I found removing rears and such was working against me. In his case he has a 3rd member but that can be even more challenging....

The car life. Gotta love it...

JW

I went to machine shop, bought a 3/8 chunk of flat bar and had him machine a large rectangle in the end of the bar. Slide over yoke and let it bottom out on something. Then break out the 3/4”drive socket set. My air supply doesent really suit my 3/4 drive,need to change some fittings and add a bigger hose.

so the 3/4 drive and a pipe get it done. Locktite needs heat.

-
Back