front and rear glass installation

-

DotsDart

Reaction score
I've had my 74 Dart apart for a few years now and can't remember exactly how the glass should be installed. All the body work is done, and pinchwelds are primed and look good. I know the glass sits in the rubber seal when it is installed, then the trim mldgs., sit in the seal. Will the glass guy have to use some kind of sealant also? I guess I'm trying to decide if it's best to install the glass before I actually move to paint. Is there enough play in the seal to "rope" it during the paint process? I don't want to leave a paint or clear coat line at the seal and body, but I also don't want to: A) find out the glass or seal is not sitting against the body correctly after paint, and B) make a mess or scratch the new paint with tools they may have to use installing the glass. I always "dry fit" everything, then take it all apart again for paint. It takes longer, but there are no surprises when you start installing chrome, mldgs., glass ect., and find out the body still needed a tweek here or there. In this case I will have a glass guy install the glass for me, and don't want him out there twice!! Somethings should be left to a professional, and this is one of those things. I call it "unauthorized personell", HA!!

Attachments

• IMG_3062.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3068.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 138
yeah, it's kind of a catch-22. The paint job will be better (marginally, imho, in the case of front and back glass, because the moldings will cover the paint edge, but still better) if you can do it with everything out, but then you run the risk, like you say, of causing scratches putting it back together.

I'm not sure if your back window uses a lockstrip or not (mine does)- if not, they can probably be roped in, and then there should be very little risk of paint damage during the process.

In some cases sealant isn't actually required, but in my experience most guys use something for a sealant anyways- better safe than sorry.

-
Back