front crank seal installed direction

-

68cuda408

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm using a 2004 truck cover and appropriate ATI balancer per ATI tech(early truck ,no vvt or mds). The block is a 6.1. I've got all kinds of conflicting info on which side of the new design seal is the air side. They are not labeled and the cover was bare when I bought it. The obvious choice would be smooth side out, It leaked bad, no tears or deformities and full contact on the hub. After researching FSM (alldata)there is no info, and in forums it would seem the new seals are installed "lettering" out. Images show both ways new and used. I installed the second one "lettering " out and it leaked exactly the same. This engine assembly was from scratch and the FSM diagrams show no slingers or other seals to be had. How are your front seals installed? I'm apart again and these aren't cheap.
Thanks,
Keith

20210531_140429.jpg

20210531_140410.jpg

Lower pic is correct. I've never had issue with these. However, I've never tried to install a truck cover ona 6.1. Is there a slight difference in the cranks right there? Didn't think there was.

Thanks, the older truck cover is a direct bolt on. As long as it's non-vvt. It puts the water outlet on the drivers side and with the mods I did , the alternator (gm cs130) is is up higher but no where near as high as stock. I'll do this again, Maybe I'll try a stock balancer this time.

20210421_163102.jpg

20210421_193356.jpg

I bought a new one yesterday ,They are both @ 1.975". The stock one has no key way and is going back

-
Back