Front drum to disk brakes conversion.

-

Tylan

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a front brake conversion using parts provided to me by the previous owner of my 74 duster. He gave me calipers and new seals, front suspension parts, matching rotors, disk/drum master cylinder, a -possibly wilwood- proportioning valve, and a few other irrelevant parts. I believe the calipers are kelsey hayes calipers; once I managed to remove the stuck pistons, I saw that 4 had to be replaced. I can't seem to find the exact pistons, so if anyone can tell me that would be great. (I'll photograph the numbers on the calipers.)

What I'm mainly wondering is where do I have to put the proportiining valve and do I need to change anything with the distribution block? Also, does the large section of the drum/disk master cylinder go to the rear or front brakes?

P. S. I'm aware the rotors may be too pitted to resurface and that the ball joints and bushings are shot.
20201117_154051.jpg
20201117_154836.jpg
20201117_154623.jpg
20201117_154732.jpg
20201117_154420.jpg
20201117_154446.jpg
20201117_154952.jpg
20201117_163717.jpg

FYI
What you got from him is disc brake parts from the 65-72 A body line of cars.
Known as the 4 piston Kelsey Hayes disc brakes.

All that can be used on your 74, but you will have to use, rebuild, everything that you got.
You will have to use the upper control arms, and lower ball joints, that were given to you, as the existing parts on your 74 are different.
The 73, 76 cars use a different lower ball joint, and upper ball joint, commonly known as the big ball joint in the upper control arms.

62-72 A body cars use a Small ball joint.

It easily can be done, changing over your Drum brakes, on your 6 cylinder A body car.

Oh.
Look on Rock Auto for caliper rebuilding parts.

Last edited:
I just finished up doing the same thing to my 65 Barracuda. I'm using an adjustable proportioning valve from the INLINETUBE company, along with a dist. block from the same place. BTW to answer your question about which reservoir to which brakes? The larger one is for the disk brakes. I copied (made) the bracket for my proportion valve off of a picture of one they had for sale.

master cylinder.jpg

master cylinder1.jpg

master cylinder2.jpg

master cylinder3.jpg

Last edited:
I removed the calipers from my (one-owner) '70 Swinger about 4 years ago. Pistons were stuck so bad nothing would take them out. Two years later, my plans included upgrading to the larger bolt pattern using all parts from '73 Duster (340). Sold the calipers to friend in Alberta for his project. Haven't been in touch with him since then. He had planned to use the calipers as 'cores' via exchange. While I still had those calipers, one of my options was to refurbish them and fit onto my Signet, so I had ordered the replacement pistons and seals from R.A. Now, a couple years later, still have those rebuild parts in orig. packaging. I have receipt somewhere but figure they cost near $60. (U.S.). I can sell for that - including shipping. I think they are the Centric parts.

You can use the drum brake master cylinder you have now, if you use that adjustable proportioning valve. The valve installs in the rear line, btw. Also, if you do use the disc brake master cylinder, you don't need the adjustable proportioning valve. You CAN use it, but it's not necessary, as long as you use a disc brake proportioning valve in the place of your present distribution block.

You can use the drum brake master cylinder you have now, if you use that adjustable proportioning valve. The valve installs in the rear line, btw. Also, if you do use the disc brake master cylinder, you don't need the adjustable proportioning valve. You CAN use it, but it's not necessary, as long as you use a disc brake proportioning valve in the place of your present distribution block.
Are you saying that I technically can use the current distribution block as long as I integrate the proportioning valve?

Are you saying that I technically can use the current distribution block as long as I integrate the proportioning valve?

Yup. Sho nuff. That's exactly what Mopar Performance made it for. I ran one on my 65 Valiant with the single reservoir master cylinder and the drum brake distribution block. It worked good.

I just got done doing a disc brake conversion on my 74 Duster. If you dont want to mess with plumbing in your aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve, a stock disc brake proportioning valve will be a direct swap with your factory drum brake distribution block. The hardest part of this entire swap is getting the 5 lines on the distribution block broken loose without twisting off a line!

I just got done doing a disc brake conversion on my 74 Duster. If you dont want to mess with plumbing in your aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve, a stock disc brake proportioning valve will be a direct swap with your factory drum brake distribution block. The hardest part of this entire swap is getting the 5 lines on the distribution block broken loose without twisting off a line!
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

-
Back