Front floor jack points

-

TRWRacing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that it's not good to use a floor jack on the K member on a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340. Recently I have jack each side on the frame rails just behind the wheel wells and then supported each side by jack stands. Is it better to use the floor jack lower control arm and then support them by jack stands? in my youth on my '71 Demon 318 I raised it by the K-member.

How are others using a floor fack to raise and support the front end? '73 Dart

According to my 1974 Chrysler Plymouth Chassis Service Manual, you may use a floor jack under the K-member. It specifically shows that in an illustration.

I would only raise it that way long enough to get jack stands under the frame rails though. Never trust your safety to a floor jack.

It is my understanding that it's not good to use a floor jack on the K member on a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340. Recently I have jack each side on the frame rails just behind the wheel wells and then supported each side by jack stands. Is it better to use the floor jack lower control arm and then support them by jack stands? in my youth on my '71 Demon 318 I raised it by the K-member.
poppycock

By far the strongest place to put a floor jack, center of the K member. THEN place jack stands under the frame rails, lower onto the jack stands. Or place jackstands under the lower control arm. Either way works for me.

I jacked my 'Cuda from the K-member then put jack stands under the frame rails to sit on. Absolutely no problem.

If you can pull an engine by four 5/16" carb studs....you can jack the car up by the K-member.

Jeff

I only use jack stands under the control arms if I need the suspension loaded. They swing out enough to **** the stands just a little and that makes me nervous.

You always have to be careful when jacking or supporting a car. Just be careful, no problems.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Does that car have an engine in it? Sure doesn't look like the suspension loaded any.....
It does. It just looks that way because of where the jacks are, not where the tires are, at the end of the control arms. More leverage on the tires.

004.jpg

011.jpg

Ahhh.... My big block car still gets them off the upper stops though.... Good looking setup!

So 2x4 on the floor jack pad raising the K-member and jack stands on the LCA or on the frame rails just behind the wheel wells?

My 1973 Chassis manual just says to use a floor jack on the LCAs.

Last owned my '71 Demon in 1996 at the age of 26, so it's been awhile and a couple of bulging discs in the back since then.

dont need the 2x4, just lift right where the lower Radiator support is. the angled metal that is bolted to the K member and just under the Rad, lift where it connects to the K member.

20160430_001723.jpg
20160417_174736.jpg
So 2x4 on the floor jack pad raising the K-member and jack stands on the LCA or on the frame rails just behind the wheel wells?

My 1973 Chassis manual just says to use a floor jack on the LCAs.

Last owned my '71 Demon in 1996 at the age of 26, so it's been awhile and a couple of bulging discs in the back since then.

I use an old cotton shirt (my shop towels) between the jack and the K member when raising it up to protect the finish. I have use a small scrap of wood too in the past but was never comfortable with "stacking" solid materials. Then jack stands at the frame rails as others have mentioned.

Recently I've been using ramps out of convenience and have come to prefer it.

20160430_001723.jpg

20160417_174736.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all the replies. I will use my 3 ton floor jack with a terry towel on the K-member without the 2x4 along with my jack stands on the frame rails or the LCAs.

-
Back