Front Seat Issues

-

d3fiant1

Reaction score
I have what appears to be the original bench seat in my Demon. While it has been recovered, I feel like I'm sitting in a high chair. I'm 5'11". Headroom is non existent and the steering wheel is in my lap even with the seat fully rearward. The front edge of the seat is 11" from the floorboard. Is this normal in a base model Dart/Demon? I've seen pics of other A-body seats and they don't seem to sit as high as mine. Would original or aftermarket buckets solve this problem?

when my seap was still fresh and not beat all to hell i sat pretty high in th ecar too. i'm about the same height as you.

when my seap was still fresh and not beat all to hell i sat pretty high in th ecar too. i'm about the same height as you.

I was afraid of that. Dang. Btw, saw your previous post with your new aftermarket buckets. They look sweet.

What is the installed height of the OE and aftermarket bucket seats? I know the front edge of my bench seat is about 11" off the floorboard.

How much room do you have between the bottom of the seat and the tunnel? Is there room to shorten the "legs" and re-weld? Might try cruising the junk-yards for a different bench frame and re- use your pads and upolstry. I did this in a pick-up with a simmilar problem.

Don't know about a bench seat but my factory driver side bucket had two sets of holes where it bolted to the tracks. One set made it sit higher & closer to the front of the car. The other set made the seat sit lower, farther back, & tilt back a bit farther also. I never looked at the passenger seat.

How much room do you have between the bottom of the seat and the tunnel? Is there room to shorten the "legs" and re-weld? Might try cruising the junk-yards for a different bench frame and re- use your pads and upolstry. I did this in a pick-up with a simmilar problem.

For the legroom I need to work the clutch, my seat is all the way back and pretty much sitting on top of the trans tunnel.

You have this problem and you are only 5'11"???

Two suggestions.
1. Put a small spacer (1/4" - 2 or 3 flat washers) under the front seat mounts. This will tilt the back quite a bit and might help.
2. Maybe redrill some holes in the floor and move the whole seat back a couple inches. I will take a pic this PM of what your seat holes might look like (from my '72 Duster). I am thinking the seats bolt on top of a high spot, moving them back might also drop them a 1/2" or so.

C

you either need to swap out seats or start chopping at that one. i bet you can shorten the legs and put a c notch in the frame to clear the hump. i just swapped to some sunfire buckets in my duster i put them as low to the floor as i could since i had to chop the brackets off and start fresh. its not as easy to get in and out but it is better to drive. pretty cool passenger side when you flip it foward it slides all the way up to make it easier to put the kid in the back and locks right back where you had it set.

Even with the old, broken down bench, at 6'02" I felt like I was up in the headliner. Aftermarket buckets made a big difference. Mine are pretty close to the floor.

You have this problem and you are only 5'11"???

Two suggestions.
1. Put a small spacer (1/4" - 2 or 3 flat washers) under the front seat mounts. This will tilt the back quite a bit and might help.
2. Maybe redrill some holes in the floor and move the whole seat back a couple inches. I will take a pic this PM of what your seat holes might look like (from my '72 Duster). I am thinking the seats bolt on top of a high spot, moving them back might also drop them a 1/2" or so.

C
The thing is, the position of the seat is just right. My reach for the steering wheel and pedals is right where I want it. I just need the seat dropped about 5 inches

Even with the old, broken down bench, at 6'02" I felt like I was up in the headliner. Aftermarket buckets made a big difference. Mine are pretty close to the floor.
Yeah, as it sits now the steering wheel is practically in my lap. I've been eyeballing the Pro-90 seats from Scat/Procar, but they look a little thick on the seat bottom. That put together with their mounting bracket and I may be in the same situation. Looks like you got plenty of room with your aftermarket seats. Which seats and brackets did you use?

Very sweet ride, btw

Yeah, as it sits now the steering wheel is practically in my lap. I've been eyeballing the Pro-90 seats from Scat/Procar, but they look a little thick on the seat bottom. That put together with their mounting bracket and I may be in the same situation. Looks like you got plenty of room with your aftermarket seats. Which seats and brackets did you use?

Very sweet ride, btw

They're Summit Sport seats. I made some brackets from 3/4" angle to get the mounting holes in the stock location on the floor. They're bolted to the sliders on the seats.

Do you have power steering? If so, how about swapping the steering wheel out for a smaller diameter one.
C

Recently installed a pair of Procar Sportsman seats. The assembly instructions were a joke and the brackets were mislabeled, but all in all not a bad install. While the seatbacks look a little tall for the interior, the matching blue inserts help with the look. I'm satisfied with them. :cheers:

Attachments

• SDC10716.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142
-
Back