Fuel Line?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I plan on running my new fuel line this weekend. It will be a 5/16 steel line. My question is. How do you make those nice flares? The same as the ones on the sending unit. What other options are there without going to braided?

Jack

you could get a whole pre-bent kit from Fine Lines....http://www.finelinesinc.com/

Or get a flaring tool from an parts store and have at it......I found it was almost cheaper to get a pre-bent set by the time you buy the line and fitting and figure the time and aggravation of making them yourself.

I already have the tubing. I have a flaring tool for the brake lines. But this is a different flare than what it makes. This is the flare that seals a piece of hose when you want to isolate one piece from the other because of movement. Like from the fuel pump which moves, from the steel line that is attached to the frame or body.

Jack

ahhh......I just use my flaring tool and put a single flare on it. Just give the line a "ledge" for the clamp to hold the rubber line to the steel one to keep it from sliding off. If you do a double flare like a brake line takes it will be hard in not impossible to fit the rubber line over the flare.

I know you already have the line, BUT, why 5/16? Are you doing a restoration? Usually stepping up means 3/8" line.

The thing is to do a double flare halfway. It will give the line a cone effect so it will be easier to slip the rubber fuel hose onto the metal line. Just use the tool and do the first stage of the double flare. Just dont to the second stage and it will work great. As for 5/16 line I agree to step up to 3/8 if you ever plan to race it but my sons Dart still has the original 5/16 line and runs 11.50's @ 116 with it. Ron

Thanks for the reply's guys. They should solve my problem.

As far as the 5/16 line.
Well, it's like this. I can't see my car doing any better than 11.80. With that in mind I did some calculations and with the 360 and a 750 on top of it a 5/16 line is plenty big enough to supply the gas I will need. This also means I don't have to change my fuel pump or my pick-up in the gas tank which are both in good shape. Saves a few dollars that can be used elsewhere. Like 383man said, his sons dart is faster than mine and it works well with the 5/16 line. I don't mean to sound like a smart *** here, but it always pays to find out as much as you can before you do something on these cars. If you put something on, that the car doesn't need or won't use close to 100% then you are wasting money on useless bling.

Jack

-
Back