Fuel pouring out Edelbrock - why?

-

paulclark

Early A fanatic
Reaction score
Working on this new-to-me Edelbrock carb on a 66 Dart with 273. Starts and runs but pours fuel out the rear power brake vacuum port. When I plugged that, it began foaming gas up out of the vent holes outboard of the right metering rod.

Never saw this happen before but I bet someone else has. Sunken float maybe?
FE3762CF-1F07-43BC-9FF5-FD389BBED9C9.jpeg

Possibilities- too much fuel pressure, needle and seat not holding, floats have become porous, filling with fuel and sinking ( common problem). Do not plug leaking ports as they will just find another place to vent.

As Murray said. Is there a fuel filter? Blocked? Problem could be dirt/debris under the needle & seat.
Also, after a lot of miles, the n/seats become worn & will leak. That carb looks like it has seen better days....
Carefully remove carb top [ no gaskets needed if you are careful ].
Remove & check floats for debris in the n/s area. Using warm water, gently push the floats under; they should NOT take in water. Make sure the floats are straight, not hitting the side of the carb body. Set float level to 7/16". With floats back in position, invert carb top & suck on the fuel inlet. If you can suck air, you still have a leak...

As Murray said. Is there a fuel filter? Blocked? Problem could be dirt/debris under the needle & seat.
Also, after a lot of miles, the n/seats become worn & will leak. That carb looks like it has seen better days....
Carefully remove carb top [ no gaskets needed if you are careful ].
Remove & check floats for debris in the n/s area. Using warm water, gently push the floats under; they should NOT take in water. Make sure the floats are straight, not hitting the side of the carb body. Set float level to 7/16". With floats back in position, invert carb top & suck on the fuel inlet. If you can suck air, you still have a leak...
why is the rest of your post in strike thru after the first sentence?

Working on this new-to-me Edelbrock carb on a 66 Dart with 273. Starts and runs but pours fuel out the rear power brake vacuum port. When I plugged that, it began foaming gas up out of the vent holes outboard of the right metering rod.

Never saw this happen before but I bet someone else has. Sunken float maybe?
View attachment 1716287238

Needle and seat not closing.
Could be too much fuel pressure, a bad needle and seat, or something stuck in the needle and seat.

The very first thing I do in this situation is pinch off the fuel line with the engine running, and when the engine starts running out of fuel I unpinch the line.
Sometimes this can rinse out the needle and seat if something was caught in it.
(Common with rubber lines to get a little piece of rubber in the needle and seat, especially when the lines have been recently disconnected and re connected)

If nothing has changed with the fuel supply that could cause an increase in pressure, you are pulling the top of the carb off and inspecting/replacing the needle and seat.

Great responses thank you. I have a carb kit coming, will replace the inlet valves and seats, accel pump and floats.

Basic stuff but I'm just not used to these Edelbrocks, only ever worked on the Carter FB and AVSs, wasn't sure if there was something else I should know. The line pinch trick is a good one.

Thanks for the good info everyone.

Junkyard, post #4. I don't know!! Obviously I am doing something wrong but I don't know what. Computers are not my strong point, too busy working on cars...

Followup - I tried Trailbeast's suggestion of pinching the rubber fuel line, and the problem cleared up. Which tells me it was aproblem with the needle and seat, since a sunken float would likely not have un-sunk. Got the rebuild kit and going to rebuild that carb though, because who knows when it could happen again.

-
Back