Funny tag on fender- what is it?

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I’m going thru a bag of stuff for my 72’ Demon and I find this tag I removed when I got the car. It was attached to the fender tag and even though it’s hard to see... if you place the tag horizontal it is sectioned vertically. 1” X 8” thing gauge sheet. Painted body color.
Going left to right-
Frame
Sol. L
Sol. R
Door L
Door. R
H+0 L. Stamped with a giant 0
H+0. R
Cannot read but stamped with a giant 2F
Metal
Cannot read but marked with a punched thru “P”
Paint
Blank. Stamped with a 2C
Blank

I will assume it is some sort of inspection tag and the codes designate who inspected the fit and finish. But can anyone confirm my findings?
Thank you in advance-
Joe

3EE77E6D-B9BC-4726-9171-5BC2FE91802A.jpeg

Boy , that's a weird one Joe . If it was on top of the fender tag inone of the screw holes it may be a shipping tag to be removed by the dealer. Otherwise it may be as you thought and be an inspection tag . Talk about weird , I pulled a "66 Coronet 500 out of a back yard that had a /6 in it . checking the VIN confirmed the engine . Car was way too far gone . Took the VIN and the fender tag and sent it to Govier . Truly "one of none"

Boy , that's a weird one Joe . If it was on top of the fender tag in one of the screw holes it may be a shipping tag to be removed by the dealer. Otherwise it may be as you thought and be an inspection tag . Talk about weird , I pulled a "66 Coronet 500 out of a back yard that had a /6 in it . checking the VIN confirmed the engine . Car was way too far gone . Took the VIN and the fender tag and sent it to Govier . Truly "one of none"

Yes, crazy for sure. I've disassembled over 50 old MoPars over my years... most during the time when they had no value like they do now.
Anyhow in all those years I do not remember seeing anything like that on them or any cars I've seen in the wrecking yards. I removed it years ago along with the fender tag after reading about how people at car shows take them. Never had it happen to me but I'll air on the side of caution.

Looks similar to a tag I have seen attached to the under side of seats.

Jim,
I think you are right. It was drilled and attached to the fender tag (under it) you can see the rust line vs the paint where it was covered up.
Need to check to see when it was built. Drunk and hungover factory worker could not bend over to attach to back seat springs so they screwed it under hood I guess.
Weird thing is it was painted possibly bent up in the air because the inner fender does not show a line where it was laid down.
I would like to find the meaning of it just for curiosity sake.

Just to add to the confusion- I have been collecting fender tags for years when I would go to the local wrecker. I have many of the tags you show but do not understand their meaning. I will post some pics and maybe someone here will educate us.

Jim,
I think you are right. It was drilled and attached to the fender tag (under it) you can see the rust line vs the paint where it was covered up.
Need to check to see when it was built. Drunk and hungover factory worker could not bend over to attach to back seat springs so they screwed it under hood I guess.
Weird thing is it was painted possibly bent up in the air because the inner fender does not show a line where it was laid down.
I would like to find the meaning of it just for curiosity sake.
It's my understanding that it's an inspection tag; that the inspectors would either use their punch on the correct area of the tag, or they would cut the end section off as it progressed past their work station to indicate that it passed QC. Don't take that as the gospel though!

That same kind of tag was on my 74 Dart Sport when I bought it.
Take away my Freedoms, take away my Rights, take away the Ability for me to feed my family and you have created the most lethal soldier the world has ever seen, THE AMERICAN PATRIOT.

Thank you for that spot of inspiration. "Patriot" and "We the people" adorn the back of every truck I own- That and my NRA decal. :)
"Q"

Here are pics of my collection. I think this thread is on the right track. These extra tags are not rare but are not all that common. I think that them not being common and not knowing what they meant is what lead me to collect them. Have always felt that they were inspection tags, but then why did these cars get them and not the others? You can see two examples were a car got a "double tag". The other tags are inconsistent in the material, size and info contained. I'm hoping that someone here worked on the line and can help us.
100_2501.JPG

That same kind of tag was on my 74 Dart Sport when I bought it.

Had the same thing on my Swinger. Got tired of cutting myself on it when I was trying to clean my fenders and work on the car so it came out and went in the trash.

Here are pics of my collection. I think this thread is on the right track. These extra tags are not rare but are not all that common. I think that them not being common and not knowing what they meant is what lead me to collect them. Have always felt that they were inspection tags, but then why did these cars get them and not the others? You can see two examples were a car got a "double tag". The other tags are inconsistent in the material, size and info contained. I'm hoping that someone here worked on the line and can help us.View attachment 1715260276

WOW! That is some collection. I wish I had an index of what was checked and why? I am all for the tag being a "Inspection tag" and it may not correspond to the vin number but just an internal way for inspectors on the line to know before the car rolled out of the factory that it had somebody checking for repairs so it would cut down on dealer warranty claims. My question from there is- did the car have flaws and this was the tag that said those flaws were corrected and by who? or these are the areas where the flaws are and "get it fixed before it ships out?"

Also as a former dealer Tech for GM, when doing the new car inspections of cars that just rolled into the dealership, we would find all sorts of stuff like tools, cig butts, clothing, etc in the cars and would remove them. Tags included- but they were mostly stickers. If I did not remove them the detail dept would. Years ago with Corvettes ( and Buick Grand Nationals and T types)we actually had to remove the PROM chip from the ECU and the correct one was mailed to the dealer upon truck delivery. This way, along the way these cars were not "hot rodded" before it got to the dealer. Sometime they made a few stops between the manufacture to the dealer. A lot of butts in the seat. The temporary PROMS had programming for starting idle and just over idle- like a 1500 rpm rev limiter. I wonder how many cars were trashed before GM came up with that idea. LOL!

Last edited:
My question from there is- did the car have flaws and this was the tag that said those flaws were corrected and by who?

THAT ^^ is a very good possibility. My Sport is the only Mopar I have seen it on and I have owned A,B, And C bodies, and never seen one.

So I’m going thru a bag of stuff for my 72’ Demon and I find this tag I removed when I got the car. It was attached to the fender tag and even though it’s hard to see... if you place the tag horizontal it is sectioned vertically. 1” X 8” thing gauge sheet. Painted body color.
Going left to right-
Frame
Sol. L
Sol. R
Door L
Door. R
H+0 L. Stamped with a giant 0
H+0. R
Cannot read but stamped with a giant 2F
Metal
Cannot read but marked with a punched thru “P”
Paint
Blank. Stamped with a 2C
Blank

I will assume it is some sort of inspection tag and the codes designate who inspected the fit and finish. But can anyone confirm my findings?
Thank you in advance-
Joe

View attachment 1715260240
:popcorn: the remains of mine from 75 Duster...

ABBAF136-FBCE-4BD8-B19A-B66B3B72C94A.jpeg

Sylengl- I worked at Mopar dealership prepping new cars 1967-1971. Your experience is the same as mine. The stories we could tell. Since the addition of these tags is somewhat rare, I am assuming that these indicate something that was found deficient and had been corrected and now passed an additional inspection. You know what assuming does.

I had one under the fender tag of my F5 green '69 Dart.

It was a 1 option car (remote driver's side mirror) so I think that's why the tag is short.

Maybe less options to inspect?

image.jpeg

I don't think it has anything to do with options, otherwise all cars with that option and all cars with other options would all have more tags. Then since most cars had some options, nearly all cars would have tags. A highly optioned car would have a lot of tags. I assume that the different punch marks indicate different inspectors. Some of the tags are cut off, confirming the comment of a previous post.

I think that we have opened a can of worms. I worked at a dealership in 1968 and ordered my cuda BB car. When it arrived it was obvious it was a re-paint. You could see on the "A" post where the two paint jobs joined. And there was no extra inspection tag on this car. Why? I think all we can say is that the factory was very inconsistent.

They were in place from the beginning, when the fender tag was first affixed to the car.

Lots of cars had inspection tags & various types were used in different model years & differ from plant to plant also, here are just a few examples;

inspection tags.JPG

I tend to think that is true, at least from near to the beginning because they were painted body color and had to be there for paint. So what do these mean and why don't all cars have them?

-
Back