Garage lighting suggestions.

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as lighting a shop. I recently purchased a home with a 30x50 shop and it has old fluorescent lights I'd like to upgrade to led lights. Thanks in advance.

BTDT You can use LED bulbs by disconnecting and bypassing the ballast in your existing fixtures. Makes a huge difference in light output.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as lighting a shop. I recently purchased a home with a 30x50 shop and it has old fluorescent lights I'd like to upgrade to led lights. Thanks in advance.

I used 100 Watt LED High Bay UFO lights from Amazon. 260.00 bucks for ten of them, in a 30 by 40 14 foot high barn. Have had them up for 2 years with no problems. They are bright enough that I have to be careful to shield my eyes when going in out a full dark winter night.

100W UFO LED High Bay Light lamp Factory Warehouse Industrial Lighting 10000 Lumen 6000K IP54 Warehouse LED Lights- High Bay LED Lights- Commercial Bay Lighting for Garage Factory Workshop (10pcs

first if possible paint the walls white you will need less light 1/2 as many if you dont paint first and 1/2 as much electric bill. doing mine right now and cant believe the difference it makes I'm covering new block walls.

I had old four tube florescent fixtures and relamped them with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079GXFTHQ/?tag=fabo03-20

Looks like this:

Phase 1A.jpg

Ceiling height makes a pretty large difference when looking at lights. I have 14’ ceilings so I went with “ufo” style led lights meant for warehouses that have been pretty good so far.

These! Costco $40. Each here in Canada probably cheaper in the US and they come with remote controls, auto dimmers, timers etc, and plug in there the best shop lights I have ever had I just picked up four more for my kids shop today!.

20200912_184655.jpg

20200912_184640.jpg

I’ve been snagging the 4’ Feit led fixtures at Costco when they are on sale and replacing the florissant ones. Not worth converting them for the price.

I put 12 of the Costco Feit's in my 30 x 40 barn. The ceiling is white but not the walls yet. It looks like daylight. I got the 4000K as the 5000K are just too bright as they tend to blind me. Now you can daisy chain them. They were either $20.00 or $30.00 each.

we swapped out the old florescent lights with LED's we picked up at Menards a few years ago. just watch the lumens when comparing different ones.
I was able to run 1/3 as many fixtures and get better lighting. think I have 5-6 ( with a couple extra's near shelving ) in the 30x40 now.
no more buzzing, turn on even when freezing out. LED was the way to go for me. not sure we ever really saw a huge drop in the bill though.

I put 12 of the Costco Feit's in my 30 x 40 barn. The ceiling is white but not the walls yet. It looks like daylight. I got the 4000K as the 5000K are just too bright as they tend to blind me. Now you can daisy chain them. They were either $20.00 or $30.00 each.
Sorry I currently have 9 in and 10 when I'm done. Had to subtract 2 for obstacles. But it still looks like daylight. A nice addition to any garage or barn. ps I bought a couple at a time so it wasn't bad on the old pocket book.

Rewired my 4ft fluorescents for LEDs. Works great! Best part is no warmup time in the winter.

I mount my shop lights at the top of the walls on plywood strips cut at a 45 degree angle.

This way the ceiling and walls both reflect the light evenly. I mounted them on all four walls & it works awesome.

-
Back