GARLITS vs FMA...and the Mopar Guy suffers because of it.

-

partsmonsta

Massively Over Powered And Respected
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Mopar Enthusiasts;

Dunno if you know about 33rd Annual Mopars with Big Daddy Garlits Show this year. Nov 6-8th 2020.
Don Garlits, the world's number one ranked Drag Racer, has taken major strides to get the GARLITS back at his place. It has always been at Garlits' facility until 3 years ago, whereby it was moved to a Horse Farm down the street.

FMA (FLORIDA MOPAR ASSOCIATION) and Garlits originally moved the show because of lack of parking space.
Big has recently purchased extra property nearby for said parking.
He is no longer affiliated w the FMA.

With the Covid, I'm not even sure I'm going yet, but probably will...just to support Big.
It's either gonna be a blowout or a massive success...but then there's the Covid factor to ruin everything.

Def not going to the FMA Horse Show, hopefully diluted by the Garlits show by then.
FMA has stated they are not the bad guys, but it's simply not true.
Garlits & FMA tried to work things out, but they have a lease on the Horse Farm apparently.

At 88, you would think FMA would be more receptive to working with Garlits...he's not gonna be around forever. Let's cherish the time we have left with THE KING OF DRAG RACING. This is a guy who has proudly supported MOPAR his entire life. You would not be reading this if not for BIG DADDY DON GARLITS.
Big's determination in purchasing the parking area land was EPIC and probably not cheap, as land owner was holding out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to band together to support Don Garlits this coming weekend at THE 33rd ANNUAL MOPARS WITH BIG DADDY.
NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXCUSES. JUST SHOW UP AND DO YOUR THING.

33rd Annual Mopars With Big Daddy

garlits.JPG

GARLITS-swamprat34.jpg

Last edited:
Hello fellow Mopar Enthusiasts;

Dunno if you know about 33rd Annual Mopars with Big Daddy Garlits Show this year. Nov 6-8th 2020.
Don Garlits, the world's number one ranked Drag Racer, has taken major strides to get the GARLITS back at his place. It has always been at Garlits' facility until 3 years ago, whereby it was moved to a Horse Farm down the street.

FMA (FLORIDA MOPAR ASSOCIATION) and Garlits originally moved the show because of lack of parking space.

With the Covid, I'm not even sure I'm going yet, but probably will...just to support Big.
It's either gonna be a blowout or a massive success...but then there's the Covid factor to ruin everything.

Def not going to the FMA Horse Show, hopefully diluted by the Garlits show by then.
Garlits & FMA tried to work things out, but they have a lease on the Horse Farm apparently.

At 88, you would think FMA would be more receptive to working with Garlits...he's not gonna be around forever. Let's cherish the time we have left with THE KING OF DRAG RACING. This is a guy who has proudly supported MOPAR his entire life. You would not be reading this if not for BIG DADDY DON GARLITS.
Big's determination in purchasing the parking area land was EPIC and probably not cheap, as land owner was holding out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to band together to support Don Garlits this coming weekend at THE 33rd ANNUAL MOPARS WITH BIG DADDY.
NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXCUSES. JUST SHOW UP AND DO YOUR THING.

33rd Annual Mopars With Big Daddy

View attachment 1715623686

View attachment 1715623687

View attachment 1715623686

View attachment 1715623687

So, who is the bad guy, and why?
Garlits and FMA, together, moved the show to the horse park. So they both knew about the lease, correct? The lease locks someone into the horse park for a certain period of time. So Big D buys more property, and puts a show up against another show, knowing about the lease? So now both shows will suffer.

Hell, if I lived around there, I'd be hanging around every day!!

So, who is the bad guy, and why?
Garlits and FMA, together, moved the show to the horse park. So they both knew about the lease, correct? The lease locks someone into the horse park for a certain period of time. So Big D buys more property, and puts a show up against another show, knowing about the lease? So now both shows will suffer.
Agree. Two sides to every story. A compromise would take both sides to be willing to put aside egos and financial aspirations to make it work. As with most things in life, follow the money.

I was a Garlits fan my whole life. But, this is His fault. He owns his property. He's not limited by a lease. He can have his show any time of the year. He is the one who doesn't care about Mopar owners, and the loss of business to vendors.

I am afraid that nobody is going to come out as a real winner under this scenario. I have spoke to several other vendors who have been attending the shows for the past couple of years and I know of three who will be staying at home for both of the weekends in question. By diluting the potential attendance by say 30 to 40% of either show, a vendor like ourselves has to make a decision on the risk vs reward of making a seven plus hour drive one way to attend. If it was only a one or two hour drive, that would be different.

Unfortunately, under the current situation, both sides will most probably see a drop in attendance across the board. It is very difficult to regain this loss and will only continue to go down unless both groups can come to a compromise for the benefit of all parties. Hopefully, those in charge are able to see the issues and will work to resolve the problems. Would be a shame to see all of the efforts from the many previous years be tossed away over egos or hard feelings.

Would be a shame to see all of the efforts from the many previous years be tossed away over egos or hard feelings.

Wise words here for sure. Unfortunately, it happens everyday.

I have called (a few months ago) Big D (did not speak to him, personally), and the FMA. I expressed my concerns about deluting the size of either/both shows. I suggested they resolve their differences, for every ones benefit.
I only live about 30 minutes from either show, so travel/lodging is not an issue for me. My car is far from a show car, but I usually bring it. I mainly attend for the swap meet. Can't really afford to enter my car in both shows, as I need to have money to attend Moultrie Ga, the weekend of the 20th, and Turkey run the weekend of the 27th. That's a swap meet every weekend in the month of Nov. including Sumpter County this past Sunday.

Last edited:
I'm "only" 2.5 hours away, but factoring in all the driving, prep time, loading and unloading plus deciding whether to unload the trailer between shows makes it a royal PITA.

I've been a vendor at both shows but between this drama and covid, I'm not going to either one this year.

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough days available in non-stifling humidity months to have both shows not a week apart.

Heck, having them on the same day would even be a better solution as you can almost walk between venues.

Agree. Two sides to every story. A compromise would take both sides to be willing to put aside egos and financial aspirations to make it work. As with most things in life, follow the money.
FMA sez they make nothing from the Show. As for Garlits, he wants everybody back and has purchased the parking property to do it. I'm sure that property did not come cheap. This was one helluva commitment on his part.
While Garlits is charging $5 to park, these shows have never charged an admission to spectators. Cant say the same for the ripoff Daytona Spring/Fall shows featuring 90% Chevy products. :eek:

I'm "only" 2.5 hours away, but factoring in all the driving, prep time, loading and unloading plus deciding whether to unload the trailer between shows makes it a royal PITA.

I've been a vendor at both shows but between this drama and covid, I'm not going to either one this year.

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough days available in non-stifling humidity months to have both shows not a week apart.

Heck, having them on the same day would even be a better solution as you can almost walk between venues.
See, this is the totally wrong attitude to have. Just do what you've done in the past. Go to Garlits, do your thing and support Big. Let the cards fall where they will. We need power in numbers.
If you want the show back at Garlits, you have to demonstrate it. Have a little faith.

I have called (a few months ago) Big D (did not speak to him, personally), and the FMA. I expressed my concerns about deluting the size of either/both shows. I suggested they resolve their differences, for every ones benefit.
I only live about 30 minutes from either show, so travel/lodging is not an issue for me. My car is far from a show car, but I usually bring it. I mainly attend for the swap meet. Can't really afford to enter my car in both shows, as I need to have money to attend Moultrie Ga, the weekend of the 20th, and Turkey run the weekend of the 27th. That's a swap meet every weekend in the month of Nov. including Sumpter County this past Sunday.
You might wanna call them again.
If the Friday night Dinner with Big at Sonnys was sold out, it may be a good indicator.

I am afraid that nobody is going to come out as a real winner under this scenario. I have spoke to several other vendors who have been attending the shows for the past couple of years and I know of three who will be staying at home for both of the weekends in question. By diluting the potential attendance by say 30 to 40% of either show, a vendor like ourselves has to make a decision on the risk vs reward of making a seven plus hour drive one way to attend. If it was only a one or two hour drive, that would be different.

Unfortunately, under the current situation, both sides will most probably see a drop in attendance across the board. It is very difficult to regain this loss and will only continue to go down unless both groups can come to a compromise for the benefit of all parties. Hopefully, those in charge are able to see the issues and will work to resolve the problems. Would be a shame to see all of the efforts from the many previous years be tossed away over egos or hard feelings.
Would suggest you call the Museum and ask about registration count.
If the Friday night Dinner with Big is sold out, it may be a good indicator that attendance is gonna be good.

Who had their show first? Big Daddy right. Maybe that has some bearing in all fairness?
I am in Tx. now, but I had attended Big's show once decades ago. Too bad things can go sideways sometimes.

I really don't care about any reasons. All I care about is the fact, we will probably lose both shows, sooner or later, if they don't resolve the problem. Vendors will not come if there are not enough people to buy parts, and those people will not come, if there are no vendors. We are Mopar people for gosh sake, not Chevy people. We don't have the same number of fans, to be fighting each other.

The first time was a joke, but after a period to think... the solidity of the logistics seems serious, so I resubmit-

If you can't work out the differences- have them on the same day!

Yes, potentially paying for parking and/or admission twice sucks, but not paying to make the drive likely makes up for it on the dollar level.

Vendors should't care which venue they're at either, as the spectator count should be close to the same as if it were one event.

The biggest problem with having the show at the museum is simple Garlits has sold off a big part of his property over the years. There is just not enough room for the shoe there. The fact that he bought property across the street from the show doesn’t help.

I thought the whole reason this discussion even came up is because Garlits is 88 years old and he could live until he's 100 or he could die tomorrow. We've already lost a ton of legends. 99% of the people would like to meet or hangout at Garlits and be a part of his gathering as it's the real old school feel, not hanging out at a horse pavilion which you could go to the next weekend if you want.

Last edited:
GARLITS SHOW 2020 was a massive success, considering the current Covid environment and the lack of support from FMA.
You guys all supported "Big" and that's a great thing.
The LARGE FATHER made a big commitment to purchase land for parking and that spoke VOLUMES to the Mopar contingency and local Car crafters in the area.
Onward and upward from here! :usflag:
2021's gonna be B L A S T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GARLITS bday.jpg

GARLITS SHOW 2020 was a massive success, considering the current Covid environment and the lack of support from FMA.
You guys all supported "Big" and that's a great thing.
The LARGE FATHER made a big commitment to purchase land for parking and that spoke VOLUMES to the Mopar contingency and local Car crafters in the area.
Onward and upward from here! :usflag:
2021's gonna be B L A S T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 1715672701
This is not what I heard. I heard the attendance was down at both shows. Supporting Garlits just because of who he is,makes no sense. One of them needs to move their show. Period. Having them on the same day does nothing for the attendees. It would only help the vendors. Again, Garlits should have bought the property we used to park in years ago, when it was offered for sale. Being he owns everything, he should be the one to compromise, as he has infinite flexibility. I don't think much of him charging spectators either, whether its called parking, or whatever.

Garlits just had his 89th birthday 5 days ago. I think he should do what he wants to do for his last remaining years, good for him. If it helps the vendors, what's wrong with that especially in light of what's happened in the last year and why blame anyone for poor attendance? Who knew what would be allowed the way the government fu#ked with shutting down gatherings and business closings? JMO

Last edited:
This is not what I heard. I heard the attendance was down at both shows. Supporting Garlits just because of who he is,makes no sense. One of them needs to move their show. Period. Having them on the same day does nothing for the attendees. It would only help the vendors. Again, Garlits should have bought the property we used to park in years ago, when it was offered for sale. Being he owns everything, he should be the one to compromise, as he has infinite flexibility. I don't think much of him charging spectators either, whether its called parking, or whatever.
They are not on the same day. Garlits was on November 7&8. Horse park FMA was on November 14&15. I went to the horse park show and I can tell you there was about half the vendors and spectators of the year before. I would guess Garlits show was smaller. But I agree they need to combine into one show.

They are not on the same day. Garlits was on November 7&8. Horse park FMA was on November 14&15. I went to the horse park show and I can tell you there was about half the vendors and spectators of the year before. I would guess Garlits show was smaller. But I agree they need to combine into one show.
Ok, YY1 said about having them the same day. Hence my post. They don't need to be combined, they need to be about 6 months apart. That way they will make more money, and we don't have to deal with all this pissing matches.

-
Back