gas strut trunk prop

-

rkjjeep

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the gas strut kit with the two ball studs? They come labeled Q and T (for trunk and quarter) but the instructions reference blue dots on the wrench flats for positioning. No blue dots. They have angles - do they face away from each other? Thanks

yes, I agree. I think I've read everything on the internet about the gas prop and I haven't found anything that tells me how to position the ball studs. They are not straight. The instructions say to position a blue dot a certain way and there is no blue dot on the ball studs. I was hoping someone had received the studs WITH the dots and could show me how to position the angles of the studs. I'll call Laysons tomorrow, and when I get it right I'll share here.

I asked a question in another thread about the position of the curved ball studs for the Laysons gas strut trunk prop kit. I paid about 169 for it - seems like too much - but in the end Dave Layson was very helpful.
The instructions say to place each ball stud (one marked Q for quarter panel the other marked T for trunk) with a blue mark on a wrench flat of the stud facing DOWN. Simple enough but my studs came with no blue dots. Yes I probably could have figured it out but HEY - I paid for those blue dots.
I finally got through to Dave and he went out and got another kit that did have the dots so that he could explain to me how to position the curved ball studs.
GENERALLY, the quarter stud points down, and the trunk stud points up with the trunk open. If your car is like mine these studs mount in the same holes as the original trunk prop. See pictures below. This thing works great. Maybe a little pricey, but a solution if you need one.

cuda strut.JPG

trunk stud.JPG

quarter stud.JPG

I asked a question in another thread about the position of the curved ball studs for the Laysons gas strut trunk prop kit. I paid about 169 for it - seems like too much - but in the end Dave Layson was very helpful.
The instructions say to place each ball stud (one marked Q for quarter panel the other marked T for trunk) with a blue mark on a wrench flat of the stud facing DOWN. Simple enough but my studs came with no blue dots. Yes I probably could have figured it out but HEY - I paid for those blue dots.
I finally got through to Dave and he went out and got another kit that did have the dots so that he could explain to me how to position the curved ball studs.
GENERALLY, the quarter stud points down, and the trunk stud points up with the trunk open. If your car is like mine these studs mount in the same holes as the original trunk prop. See pictures below. This thing works great. Maybe a little pricey, but a solution if you need one.

View attachment 1715401675

View attachment 1715401676

View attachment 1715401677
So tell us how long the strut rod is ,
Inquiring minds want to know !

I think it's common knowledge that these struts are 20" extended (ball center to ball center). About 8.5 inches of that is exposed shaft. Others have stated this is 60 lbs of force.

You'll have to angle the ball studs a bit - otherwise the plastic portion of the strut socket will contact the ball stud shaft and pop the strut off the ball.

Good fix, for the trunk.
I went another way with my 66 B-Cuda trunk. I just put new springs in the original trunk rod, along with my elec trunk popper, the trunk pops open, and stays up nice.
I guess if you dont have an original prop rod the gas charge is the way to go. Mine had one.
Dave

Good fix, for the trunk.
I went another way with my 66 B-Cuda trunk. I just put new springs in the original trunk rod, along with my elec trunk popper, the trunk pops open, and stays up nice.
I guess if you dont have an original prop rod the gas charge is the way to go. Mine had one.
Dave
The electric release is so handy!

-
Back