Gas Tank Filler Neck Grommet Change

-

greyghost340

GreyGhost 340
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on changing the gas filler neck grommet on my 73 Dodge Dart? Can this be done without removing the gas tank?

Should be abke to do it without removing the tank. Pull the rubber cover in the trunk, remove the filler neck, swap grommet and reverse.
At worst you may have to get under the car to R&R the grommet, or loosen the tank straps to lower the tank a bit.
Don't use a jack against the tank though. I always use a chunk of 2x12 or a small pallet to prevent denting the tank.

I don't know if this applies to you, but when I changed grommet on a new tank on my 72 Roadrunner, I ordered part number OER MF-296 from Summit. It didn't fit. I spent 2 hours, boiled it, used Dawn liquid, WD-40, dialectric grease. Pushed my fuel neck with all my might. The grommet is too small. Others made same complaint on reviews. I ordered one from Detroit Muscle Technologies. It fit perfectly and went in in one minute. Something to consider.

Me too.my first one was too hard and did not fit. I got a softer one from Van's and it worked great. Even one from Detroit Muscle is good quality too. Good Luck

Hello All,
Just as a note:
Found this one at local auto parts store, Soft and pliable.
Lubed up filler neck with extremely light coat of super lube and neck slid right in.
No leaks after filling tank up.
Spectea Premium
Part Number FNA03.
Stay Well,
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

-
Back