Gas tanks strap mount points

-

kfrese

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to install new gas lines, and mount tank, is the attachment point for the straps roughly underneath the middle of the spare tire area. If so, I noticed that one of them is gone completely and is a hole there instead. Whats a good fix for that problem area? Do I need to have someone fab and spot weld a new one, or what are some other options? This is on a 1973 dodge dart sport 340.

Thanks

The part that goes on the spare tire well is just a flat peice of metal with ahole in the middle so a L-bolt can slide through it. Would be easy enough to fab a new one. Just a T and slide it down through the top of the spare tire well.

I'm assuming your tire well is a rust bowl like mine was. Not sure what you have left from your description. Sounds like your bigger problem is fixing the bottom of the spare well. Heres what the bracket should look like. Made of three pieces. The folded down parts are sandwiched together to form the tabs for the strap bolts underneath. The keyhole in the top is for your spare hold-down. You might be able to find this in a yard. If 'original' appearance is not important you can make a very simple bracket as stated in first reply. Take good front/back measurements of what's left of the remaining hanger before removing. The distance apart can be figured from strap spacing.
Short answer - somebody needs to fab and weld...

Attachments

• 2012-11-17 16.01.18.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 223
The best way is to cut the entire well out and replace it. They sell just the well replacement. If you go that route, wait until you have the new one before you cut anything.

Another option, which is what I did, is to form a piece of 2 inch flat bar and go across the well and attach another tab if you can get one.

That is a temporary fix, and the well really should be replaced, I need to change mine out too.

Here is a pic of what I did for a temporary fix until I can save up for the well. Last time I looked they were around 2 bills new.

Attachments

• Picture 011.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 207
Hey guys,

What are these hangers for, are they exhaust hangers or what???

Attachments

• 20130105_115928.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20130105_115939.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 201
Those are for the tank, but I don't think its original. Is that just a plate welded to the floor pan? If so, your depending on the strength of the little bit of sheet metal that the weld grabbed. Which is why one looks like it got ripped off. I don't know if they ever did it that way. Did sombody already replace the spare well, that would explain a lot, cause it looks like the pans in good shape. Here's a pic and quick sketch to clarify what I have. Same car as pic above from in trunk with primer. The three pieces were originaly 'spot' welded together, but can drill and fill or just weld the edges. I think they are a little heavier than the trunk metal, so I'm guessing they are 16 to 18 gauge (anybody know for sure?). Then the assembly is dropped through the slots in the pan and you can again drill and fill weld or just tack the edges so it can't move. The structure is in the 'T' hanging in the pan, not the welds. Then it just gets seam sealer over ends to fill any gaps.

Attachments

• IMG_0047 (640x480).jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0048 (640x480).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 207
thanks so much, what does the other end of your strap look like, where does that attach to? Can you take a pic for me? I appreciate it

The other end of the strap has a T shape to it. It fits and drops into a hole on the cross piece in front of the tank. Look there and you will see two slots and it narrows down to accommodate the T.

is it possible to take off that cross piece cause I dont remember seeing it, I hope its there

Still looking far an image of the front slots

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 218
  • straps.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 200
I guess cross piece was a poor way to describe it, it actually is part of the floor of the trunk area, would be a better way to describe it. There are two teardrop shape holes the the end of the strap goes in and then rotate the T into it.

Attachments

• Picture 147.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 175
-
Back