gear oil.

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
OK I have my *** end complete again. and just wondering what gear oil run in it. She is bone dry and clean so she deserves the good stuff.

I use their Series 2000 75w-90 in my race car and 75w-140 in my dually.
These also have a limited slip additive in them!

Amsoil source.

Some gear manufacturers suggest breaking in the gears with conventional gear oil, then changing it to whatever you decide on using. That's not a bad idea because the protective coating on the ring & pinion actually isn't good for the bearings after it wears off!

OK so what should i run for a street car running 3.91, in the past i have been running Valvoline 85-140, should i change?? I havent had any problems with it but this duster will see a little more RPM than my other cars and trucks. Also what grade and type for the A833 tranny its bone dry and I am not real sure of the grade to run in it??Evrything has had a freshe rebuild.

I like to use the heavier gear oil in the dually because it's always loaded down and towing. The lighter stuff has always worked well for me in the race car, my drivetrain guy likes it and being thinner can free up a little bit of HP.

I don't know what would be best for a manual trans.

on that 75 - 90 doesnt see much street use , how well do you think that will hold up to street driving or do i ned a hevier weight?

Opinions may vary, but I have the lighter gear oil in my stock V-6 street driven Dakota as well as in my drag car.

you guys are making think... i need to change my *** oil too. :)
get the street use weight worked out so i can get some too :)
i bet the gear oil in the butt of my car has never been changed more than once, if ever. (128,000 miles)

HawaiiDuster said:
Anyone try that Royal Purple line of products :?: Just wondering how it compared to Amsoil and Redline.

Never tried it but their Race Team use to give us free tickets to the Mopar Parts Nationals. :D

-
Back