Gear ratio?

-
Jack up the car and secure it on Jack stands under the frame, or the axle housing leaving engough room (height) to get under there and remove the center section. Remove the tires, and drums, and driveshaft. 5 nuts hold in each sides axle. There's and access hole in the axle that allows you to get at one nut at a time when you rotate it around. Put a drain pan under the edge of the housing, and pull out on the axles. They might bring some axle oil out with them. When removing the axles, take care to not drag the end across the seal pressed in the housing end, and you can tear it up, and cause a leak. There's ten 1/2" nuts on the center section. I remove them all but the top two, which I walk out, but don't take off. Then you can place the jack under the nose of the yoke, and put a bit of pressure upwards until you break the seal. Placing a drain pan under there keeps the smelly rear axle oil off the driveway. Don't jack more than a small bit, you just want to breal the gasket loose, but not hurt the housing studs. Then you need to get under there, and remove the last two bolts, and lower it down. It's heavy, but I've done lots of these by my self. Maybe 50 LBS. Remember that the gear oil is slippery, and smelly. I use a rag to get a better grip, and then usually throw it away. The smell seems to get into what ever it gets on, and doesn't wash out. Reverse the steps to put the other one in.
I like 4.56 gears with a 28" tall tire, usually I can go 55 MPH at 3200 RPMS. Just my $.02
Goodluck!

LOL figures...would you belive the axle seals were done just a few weeks ago when I had the car certified...What is the old saying ..if it werent for bad luck...SEND YOU A PM LATER CRACKBACK?
Thanks
AL

I don't understand the problem with figuring out what the gear is by turning the drive shaft. If you lift 1 wheel preferably the right rear. put a jack stand under there BE SAFE and mark the inside of the tire now crawl under and turn the driveshaft and see how many turns it takes to rotate the tire 1 revolution. 3 1/4 turns = 3.23 just under 3 turns =2.94 2 3/4 turns =2.76 just under 4 turns = 3.91 its not that hard. u must turn the driveshaft it dosen't work the other way.
That said if u are going to do a lot of 65+mph driving I would go with a 2.94 or 2.76 Ijust removed my 3.91's after just a few miles because it just turns to many rpms for me at 70 close to 3500 with 27" tires. I'm puting my 3.23's back in but if I need to drive long distance i will put my 2.76 in or If I get real enerjetic I will put my O/D in with the 3.23's. I don't think I'll ever use these 3.91 again so if some one is looking I have a nice tight quiet 742 case 3.91 suregrip for sale.

quote I don't think I'll ever use these 3.91 again so if some one is looking I have a nice tight quiet 742 case 3.91 suregrip for sale.

How much.

Terry

U have a PM

391 GEAR 001.jpg

-
Back