Gear Ratios

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Well my el-cheapo $100 3rd member with a set of 3.91's isn't panning out. After a little use and driveign for a half hour its starting to howl nicely. I was hopeing I could pull off highway driveing but the revs are far too high. So I'm thinking of a set of 3.55's and leanign towards an already doen 3rd member. Anyone have any advice?

Well the tires are new, and on rallye wheels. So If I ever change tires I'll be goign to aftermarket rims in a 15" size. Anyone here running 3.55's?

I just took out the 3.54s for 4.10s. 28 in tire. The 354 are great gears for all around driving. However for me they werent enuf. My car is a summer no rain car. So 4.10s are here. Wonder what affect on my time just that would do?

Well these gears are gettign a nice howl on the drive side and o go to car shows or even the strip its a 2 1/2 hour trip. 15" rubber is in the plans eventually though. It had 3.23's when I got it that where ok but nothing special. The 3.91's are fun around town but on the highway its a no go. According to the calculator with my current 24" tall tires I'd be pulling 3200rpm at 65mph. And if I stepped up to a 26" tire it falls to 2800rpm. What'd you do with those 3.54's? :lol:

Taller tires not only raise your gear they also fill the wheel well up. I really like that well filled up. I had 26's on mine. It lloked like a glazed dognut in there. A 28 tire with 4.10s is 3200 @ 65.
My old gears will not work for you as I have the king of all rearends.....Dana 60.9 3/4.. Bad *** ****! lol.

If your car is your driver.3.55 is the way to go.

A Dana would be nice but a little overkill for my needs. It is a driver and the wheels are comeing, just cant afford new rubber and wheels all at once. Called a drivelien shop today and have a set of 3.55's comeing in. I figure I should have the best of both worlds with them even with my little tires.

I am probably talking out of my *** here but why don't you drop down to like a 3.73 gear? Might be a enough to drop a few rpm's on the highway yet should still be close enough to still match up with the rest of your drive-train.

The 3.55's will be a perfect gear for your height of tire. Even if you go to a taller tire later they will still do the trick. Your next gear would have to be a 3.91 and with those tire's your gonna turn some serious rpm on the highway. I run a 3.91 with a 28" tire and spin 2800 at 60 mph.

Yeah I do all the math after the fact! But hey going from 3.23's to 3.91's was sure fun around town.... That thing will get so sideways :D But cruiseign in a small town is limited.... and the RCMP get to know your car a little to well. But I used an rpm calculator at Randy's Ring and Pinion and like you said with my little tires and later on when I go bigger I'll still be set for the highway when I go to the city. This summer I got to start looking for some wheels and some rubber to stuff under the car. The 14's are jsut to small and getting tougher to find

-
Back