Gear setup question

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
When converting from one ratio (2.45) to another (3.55) is the old pinion depth shim even relevant?

I ordered a complete rebuild kit from Motive Gear, and there is a pack of shims included, but all of them combined aren't as thick as the ONE that I took out.

The original is unusable because it was installed behind the inside pinion bearing race, and got beat to hell trying to get the race out..didn't realize we weren't hitting the race until everything came out.

So what do I do for shims, and where should I start? Can I order just a shim kit to start with?

Mic the old shim and install that same thickness behind the pinion bearing.
Set it up and see how the pattern looks, add or subtract from there.

Setting pinnion depth by installing the shims behind the rear bearing race is kinda the short cut or cheaters way to set pinion depth. Mainly because you don't have to press the pinion bearing on and off to get a good pattern.

When converting from one ratio (2.45) to another (3.55) is the old pinion depth shim even relevant?

I ordered a complete rebuild kit from Motive Gear, and there is a pack of shims included, but all of them combined aren't as thick as the ONE that I took out.

The original is unusable because it was installed behind the inside pinion bearing race, and got beat to hell trying to get the race out..didn't realize we weren't hitting the race until everything came out.

So what do I do for shims, and where should I start? Can I order just a shim kit to start with?

Gears that far apart will probably require a different shim thickness, but you never know until you assemble it. If you have a depth setting gauge you can get a good idea of what you need before you assemble things.

-
Back