GEAR VENDOR OVERDRIVE

-

Frodee

Off center a bit
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Gear Vendor over drive behind my 904 with 410 gears in a 8 3/4 rear end with a pretty much stock 1970 340. and trying to learn how to shift it through 6 gears. can anybody give me some advice and thanks in advance.

A manual valve body and a "Hi/Low button on the stick..........

A manual valve body and a "Hi/Low button on the stick..........
mine is not set up with a manual valve body I guess I should. Been shifting the tranny then the over drive. seems to work ok but I gotta stay on top of it or I'll miss a gear. this is new to me so forgive my ignorance

1,2,3, overdrive 4th
yea got that but 2nd over drive it pulls real hard then third then third over drive seems to me to work better than 3rd then over drive but maybe it's just the excitement of trying to go through the gears.

The problem is you have to connect and disconnect the overdrive in every gear, That takes time.

I have that setup in my Barracuda. As quick as my car goes through the gears 1-4 is as fast as I can react.
I know that to try to split/shift it would be way slower and cost time in the end.

I don't think shift splitting is feasible.

1,2,3,4 hit overdrive.
I can't see how it would help to hit the button twice between each gear. If I wanted 6 gears I would go t56 or a modern automatic (unsure on autos)

I have that setup in my Barracuda. As quick as my car goes through the gears 1-4 is as fast as I can react.
I know that to try to split/shift it would be way slower and cost time in the end.
never had my car at the track so never knew if it helped splitting gears. thanks

Gearvendors gear ratios.JPG

Gear Vendors under/overdrive auxiliary transmissions Hot Rods, Dodge 3-Speed Automatic Muscle Car/Street Rod/Restoration.

Thanks!
Working on a 69 Barracuda Fastback now for my son that will have a GVOD behind a Full Manual RVB 727.
seems to me the gear vendor works great with a stick. as far as I can see it has been the best thing I ever done with my car never have to change out the rear end to go long distance

seems to me the gear vendor works great with a stick. as far as I can see it has been the best thing I ever done with my car never have to change out the rear end to go long distance
Will put one in my E-Body behind the A833 after we finish the 69.
List of stuff for the 'Cuda waiting until we finish the B'cuda or win the lotto whichever comes first.

List of stuff for the 'Cuda waiting until we finish the B'cuda or win the lotto whichever comes first.
sorry but it's my turn to win the lotto,my next car is a 70 440 six pack cuda 4 speed in lime green and then a 68 or 69 cuda with a small block and a supper charger. you are living my dream

lived in Washington most of my life around Tacoma, Graham, Fife. worked in the ship yards on the new cars that came in off the ships. Got tired of all the traffic and bad people and of course the rain. sure do miss it there but can't put up with all the people

Hey Fred,
I was told by GV that you can't have the power going into the unit on the outshift. That is to say you can put full power into it on the upshifts; as in from first into 1-od or from second into 2-od, etc. But when going from 1-od into second, the power has to be interrupted until the box has outshifted. And as you have discovered,that control module has a time-delay in it, so that really sucks.
<< You might want to call them and verify that this applies to automatics, too>>

Here are the ratios;...... 2.45-1.91-1.45-1.13-1.00-.78od (GV in red)
and the splits;............... .78---.76---.78---.88---.78

So that looks pretty good.

Say you have 27 in tall tires,
and your power peak is at 5200, and your shift rpm is 5500, just saying.

>If you gear this to hit peak power at 60Mph, in 1-od, you will be blazing fast.
This might be 3.73s,for 60=5565, or 3.91s for 60=5850,or 4.10s for 6130
>Say your combo can hit 88 in the 1/8. The optimum overall ratio might be 4.79. So if you were to hit it in 3rd gear, you'd probably use 4.56s or 4.88s. In second you might use a 3.23 gear. And in 2od, you might use 4.30s
>Say your combo can hit 106 in the 1/4 mile. The optimum overall ratio might be 3.98. So if you hit it in Direct, you would use 3.91s, or maybe 4.10s. To use second-OD, you would use 3.55s. To use Third-od you would use 5.13s.

So as you can see, there is no one-gear that will cover all the bases. But 4.10s do a pretty close job. With 4.10s your Rs would be;
60=6130 in First-od
88=5323 in Second-od
106=5670 in Direct
65=2582 in Direct-od at zero-slip, 2700 at 5%slip,

As you can see, the GVOD can be used, very successfully in 3 out of 4 cases, always as the final shift, never as a splitter....And it's always nice at the top of the track,to have one more gear to shift into.

Last edited:
Hey Fred,
The 904 ratios are too close together to take much advantage of splitting, but more importantly, I was told by GV that you cant have the power going into the unit on the outshift. That is to say you can put full power into it on the upshifts; as in from first into 1-od or from second into 2-od. But when going from 1-od into second, the power has to be interrupted until the box has outshifted. And as you have discovered,. that vcontrol module has a time-delay in it, so that really sucks.

To be continued
yea your right AJ I have to really be care full on my shifts it works well if I shift the tranny first and as I shift and before it goes into 2nd or 3rd hit the overdrive then it works well but sometimes I miss, but getting better. good to here from you

yea your right AJ I have to really be care full on my shifts it works well if I shift the tranny first and as I shift and before it goes into 2nd or 3rd hit the overdrive then it works well but sometimes I miss, but getting better. good to here from you
and not sure if there is any help in splitting between 1st and 2nd but plan on taking her to the 1/8 mile track this summer for the first time for the car. And I only tried the 1/4 mile twice back in 1978 I think it was.

and not sure if there is any help in splitting between 1st and 2nd but plan on taking her to the 1/8 mile track this summer for the first time for the car. And I only tried the 1/4 mile twice back in 1978 I think it was.
Try not to miss too often, the repair bill is 50% of the current retail price, plus shipping, plus several weeks down time. I highly recommend you only use it as your final shift. At least until you get confirmation from the manufacturer.
I split because I have a clutch. That's my power-interrupter.And I heaved that slow-azz module into the back-40.

As I recall, you already have the 4.10s ,right?

Last edited:
-
Back