Gear Vendor

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Has anyone put a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit onto their 904? Is this even possible? If so, how expensive and how did it work out?

I have not used one but did look into it once for a 727 and the kits are about $2500. I instead bought an A518 because it was much cheaper. A500's shouldn't be that hard to find. I bought a core A500 in a wrecking yard for $50. It can be rebuilt for a lot less than $2500. With a Gear Vendors you can split every gear but that would be the only real advantage to it.

Chuck

I have not used one but did look into it once for a 727 and the kits are about $2500. I instead bought an A518 because it was much cheaper. A500's shouldn't be that hard to find. I bought a core A500 in a wrecking yard for $50. It can be rebuilt for a lot less than $2500. With a Gear Vendors you can split every gear but that would be the only real advantage to it.

Chuck

So the A518 is basically an overdrive version of the 904? Either way is it pretty much a bolt in swap in an A-body? How are the electrics wired up for that tranny?

The A518 is a 727 with an overdrive and an A500 is the 904 with an overdrive. The A518 has a non-lockup convertor until about '93 but the A500 are all lock-up convertor. They will bolt right up to the engine but have heard the trans crossmember need to be modified. As far as wiring up the trans all you need is a power wire running to the connector of the trans. The overdrive is engaged automatically inside the trans as long as it has power. If you put a switch in the line you can turn off the overdrive if you want.

Chuck

-
Back