Gears

-

Duster2022!

Reaction score
I recently built a BB 440 which dino at about 527 horse at 6500 RPMs. This motor is going into a street car. I was wondering if anybody had an idea of what some good street and strip gears to put in

Depends on how much street and how far you plan to drive it on the street. Without knowing the rest of the combo I would say anywhere from 3.55 to 4.10 would be adequate.

I recently built a BB 440 which dino at about 527 horse at 6500 RPMs. This motor is going into a street car. I was wondering if anybody had an idea of what some good street and strip gears to put in
Sorry but that is such a loaded question.
It all works as a package. The cam was picked for Auto, manual or dyno?
How heavy is the car, Intended use? Rear tire height?
Wow! You built (or bought) a big a$$ engine. Without the other stuff, you built an engine for a guessing game.
Please let us know the particulars and we can help you with your gear ratio question.
If not this is a wasted thread.
Syleng1

What he/they ^^^^^^^^ said.
Or, 3.23s, lol
Why 3.23s?
Cuz 65mph =about 6200 in 2.45 First Gear, with 28" tires; at Zero-slip.
Say up to 6800@10% slip/ at WOT. And Second will get you 105Mph @ 6500 @ 10% slip/ at WOT..
And 65 will be ~2520 @ zero-slip, say 2650 on the tach,
depending on the convertor.
What could be finer?

BTW
there is no street in 527hp@6500, fogetabowdit.
I mean you can drive it on the street, but yur gonna have a lotta lotta prep-work to do first, and a really funky tune..

Last edited:
I love my 323's in my 500" 440 source kit 727 just a holeshot converter. Still does mid 11's at the track.

I run 4:10s with a 28" tires. At 60 MPH 3200 RPM. I really like this gear set up. works great on the track and street.

Last edited:
The last time I put an engine like that in a street car, - it didn't matter what gears you put in unless you were looking for top speed.

It shredded the 14 inch wide MickeyThompsons thru all gears.
Try to get it to hook first .

I run 4:10s with a 28" tires. At 60 MPH 3200 RPM. I really like this gear set up. orks great on the track and street.
This will be my set up when I finally get around to installing my 383/727 combo in my Duster. Might be too steep for some, but works great for a 3 spd. auto trans.

I run 3.73 in my 67 cuda with 28" tall tires. My engine is a 505 and the combo is running in the high 10's with also street driving mixed in.

Uh, what rear end? What is available for a 9" is not necessarily available for an 8 3/4. What is available for an 8 3/4 is not necessarily available for a Dana 60.
I have two cars with that kind of power, one with 3.91s and a 28" tire, and one with 4.10s and a 31"tire. Neither are driven a lot on the freeway, but they can be. If you plan on freeway trips at highway speeds, I'd probably pick a 3.55, as a good compromise gear. (3.55 was a factory optional gear from Mopar, and stock on a 55 chevy with a glide. I drove 180,000 miles in a 55 chevy with a glide)

I had 3.55s before they were good but then went to 3.91's and was snappier and didnt seem to go too much higher in rpms. My car is mostly street. Use to street race but not anymore I wised up!

Ultimately you want to run the gear that gives best quarter mile times for the strip part of your car, minus how much your willing to sacrifice for street. That's a you call, first I'd figure what the best gear should be for the track then if that's too deep for ya decide on best compromise.

You built an engine that makes peak power at 6500 rpms so peak torque is probably around 5000 rpms basically the beginning of your main powerband. If you want to access that powerband you got to gear it so you can reasonably access it at various road speeds.

Ultimately you want to run the gear that gives best quarter mile times for the strip part of your car, minus how much your willing to sacrifice for street. That's a you call, first I'd figure what the best gear should be for the track then if that's too deep for ya decide on best compromise.

You built an engine that makes peak power at 6500 rpms so peak torque is probably around 5000 rpms basically the beginning of your main powerband. If you want to access that powerband you got to gear it so you can reasonably access it at various road speeds.
This post nails it. Also, with regard to powerband at the strip, your converter is critical as well. Modern converter designs can allow you to have street manners, and the rpm range you want at WOT. Get a custom converter built for your combo - not an off the shelf unit!

This post nails it. Also, with regard to powerband at the strip, your converter is critical as well. Modern converter designs can allow you to have street manners, and the rpm range you want at WOT. Get a custom converter built for your combo - not an off the shelf unit!
Agreed, I'd say in the street (and track) the converter is more important to get into the powerband cause at normal road speeds 20-50 mph you need a lot of deep gearing to get up there. A stall is kind like a continuous variable gears. But luckily a decent 440 should make a lot of 3000-5000 rpm power too.

O.P. must have not liked any of our suggestions. He hasn't been back to answer any of our questions or thank us.

Ingrate!
Like 90% of the OP's it's like their shy or something, post a question and sit back watch as we duke it out for 5-10 pages :)

Okay, how about this one....... 5.38s. Fastest car in the world....for thirty feet!

Funny thing is, I had 5.13s in one of my cars, cause it had a small block and 14x32 tires.

It was quicker and faster when I swapped in 4.57s.

Didn't roadkill garage switch the crop duster gears from 4.10 to 3.23 and it still ran the same ET and MPH?
Funny how people fret about torque, but that's equivalent to losing 100 lbs-ft at the crank.

-
Back