General questions before installing A833

-

Blackdemon71

Reaction score
I have a ‘71 Demon with a 360, and I’m getting ready to install the new tranny I bought. I also bought a new TO bearing. I’m 17 and have never installed one of these transmissions before, but the guy I bought it from said to lightly sand the collar that the TO bearing rides on, as well as the tip of the input shaft that sits inside the pilot bearing. What grit sandpaper should I use for this, and if not, what should I do to prepare the input shaft? Thanks.

If you haven't yet go to mymopar.com and download your years factory service manual

I don't see any reason to sand either part, unless there is some surface rust, then just 220 or greater, very lightly.

Is the engine (crank) a "stick" crankshaft? Many of these are drilled undersize, so the easy way out is to use the great big fat pilot that fits into the converter register. CHECK that the hole is drilled deep enough. I had a 97 Dodge 2500 2wd and the pilot was not drilled AT ALL on that engine.

Those boxes are HEAVY. I used to install mine with a floor jack. Sometimes, long bolts sawed off make good "guide" pins to start the box in place. If you put it in gear, and put a slip yoke in the tail, you can wiggle that to align the box. Some boxes will go into reverse and a forward gear, which locks the shaft to the box, then just wiggle the box to align the clutch splines

You do know? about a clutch alignment shaft?

Some bellhousings, you can put the fork in after the gearbox is in place, and that can make things easier, because you just "toss" the TO bearing on the front and slam it in, so to speak.

I remember being 17 and doing the same thing on my 72 Demon back in 1987. I converted from 3speed stick to 4 speed. Oh what the next 72 hours had in store for me until my next door neighbor who was a mechanic finally came over and showed me what I was doing wrong. I envy you. Just don’t stress out over this process. There is a lot of learning here. Parts are heavy- take it slow and go one step at a time. You will like the results! Just be safe, injuries take all the fun out of the job. Lol!
Good luck
Syleng1

Thanks for the replies! I sanded the collar and shaft (not the splines) with 400 grit sandpaper and removed all the surface rust. Are there specific sections of the input shaft that I need to grease up? Someone had told me that if you put grease on the entire shaft that it would sling it all over the flywheel, and that I should only lube certain sections. Once again, thanks.

F062C154-C2C8-4EDD-A71B-C4CA7FD12AED.jpeg

Did the trans come off the engine you are installing it to?
If so align the clutch with a tool.

If not make sure there is a pilot bushing installed in the crank, and make sure the crank is drilled deep enough.

Factory service manual!

Thin coat of brake calliper type grease should not cause any issues, but then again it might collect clutch dust and gum things up down the road.

But again.... FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL!!!!

Did the trans come off the engine you are installing it to?
If so align the clutch with a tool.

If not make sure there is a pilot bushing installed in the crank, and make sure the crank is drilled deep enough.
No, this is a replacement transmission. However, the one I turned in as a core sat side by side with this one to ensure that both the input shafts and tail shaft lengths matched up and they did, so I don’t think crank depth is going to be an issue. As for the pilot bushing, I’m not sure if there is one in there or not. I’m willing to bet there is but I’ll make sure tomorrow.

-
Back