Generic Solution for '65 Console Gear Selector Dust Cover?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
That black ribbon of plastic or whatever that slides back and forth with the auto gear shift tends to break up after so long. It seems any old piece of black plastic could be cut to fit as a replacement. Just need a small rectangular hole cut for the column of the lever and you're home free. Your clever solution was ... ? Thank you.

shift selector dust cover ribbon.JPG

console gear selector dust cover 2.JPG

I used a piece of an old black 1 gal oil jug ..
Cut it longer than you think, trim after test fit.

Last edited:
I have this 1/16" thick black textured lexan plastic at work. I will be making one out of that.

The OEM strip had raised edges down the length on it. This was to prevent the center from getting scratches as it's used.

Made my own today (one for the '65 Signet convertible, the other for the '65 Formula S"). I used a black "Valucraft" one gallon container that previously was sold with ATF. My reproductions don't have the small "ridges" (but Ruffle's potato chips do). The stock damaged dust shield has not been removed yet in the photo.

center console dust shield.JPG

The first Mainstay brand cd/dvd binder I bought from Walmart has a single matte black vinyl divider/page with a slight texture. I cut several of the 66 up pieces with oval hole from it. Mailed them to other members here. Later purchases of same binder didn't include that divider.

-
Back