Reaction score
BJt14AJ.jpg

wbjtyxj.jpg

6yhNvgO.jpg

dcSSmjW.jpg

3BiODPP.jpg

MF4fIEr.jpg

KrY211c.jpg

For those that don't know, after WWII the Allies disarmed Germany. Most of the guns (ones that weren't captured DURING the war) were taken and distributed around the world. Most of the K98 Mausers ended up in Israel. Almost all of these were converted to 7.62x51mm (aka .308) since that is what the US could provide.

So I took the K98 out and decided to put it through it's paces. When I got out there though I foolishly remembered that I had forgot to clean the rifle. Either way I loaded 5 rounds of Federal Fusion 165gr into the K98 and took aim at 50 yards. Just high. Next round dead center. Next target was 200 yards out. Shots were grouping within 2 to 3 inches but that is leaning on a vehicle so I'm sure that the rifle can perform than my meager shooting can do. Very impressed. The only problem was opening the bolt to extract the round was pretty tough and flung the shell casings up to 10 feet. I think with a good cleaning and a good lubing she will be a really good rifle.

Oh and leaving it out in the hot sun some of the oil from the stock started seeking out. But that was no big problem.

Thinking of turning it into a German Sniper Rifle clone due to how well it's shooting.

I have one of those, I have always liked the Mauser bolt action rifles. Very accurate rifles. Problem is the ammo for this rifle, in my neck of the woods anyway, is a bit pricey.

I have one of those, I have always liked the Mauser bolt action rifles. Very accurate rifles. Problem is the ammo for this rifle, in my neck of the woods anyway, is a bit pricey.

Thats why I like the Israeli versions which were rebarelled to .308 instead of the German 8mm.

I have a Parker & Hale in .308 Norma Magnum which was built on a mauser action. Nice rifle but ammo is $120 a box up here IF you can find it.

That ammo is still cheaper than my .50 bmg ammo.

I have a rifle that looks suspiciously like that and I was wondering what it was in it's past life.
It's been rebarreled to 300 Savage.
The safety is the same and everything, but the closest anyone (gun shop) has said was that it might be originally Israeli made.

I have a rifle that looks suspiciously like that and I was wondering what it was in it's past life.
It's been rebarreled to 300 Savage.
The safety is the same and everything, but the closest anyone (gun shop) has said was that it might be originally Israeli made.

If you can take pictures and post them I might be able to ID the rifle.

If the safety is the same it's most likely a K98 bolt/action and was rebarrelled to 300 Savage and with a new stock.

After WWII K98 rifles flooded the market. Like I said Parker & Hale bought a bunch to use. They used the action but with their own bolts. Once the K98 actions ran out they started making their own.

They are easy to spot. If you notice on the rifle above there is a small cutout on the side of the receiver. This is there to help when using a stripper clip to load the rifle. These cutouts are only found on stripper clip fed rifles. Thus old military rifle receivers.

Fun gun to shoot! My buddy has a small rim Mauser Chileno that was from the Spanish American war.

If you can take pictures and post them I might be able to ID the rifle.

If the safety is the same it's most likely a K98 bolt/action and was rebarrelled to 300 Savage and with a new stock.

After WWII K98 rifles flooded the market. Like I said Parker & Hale bought a bunch to use. They used the action but with their own bolts. Once the K98 actions ran out they started making their own.

They are easy to spot. If you notice on the rifle above there is a small cutout on the side of the receiver. This is there to help when using a stripper clip to load the rifle. These cutouts are only found on stripper clip fed rifles. Thus old military rifle receivers.

I can do that, but give a min to figure out this camera we just got. :D
It takes way better pics than our older one.

Here we go.

Attachments

• SANY0001.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 365
  • SANY0002.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 351
  • SANY0003.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 357
  • SANY0005.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 356
  • SANY0006.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 355
The Israeli K98 is neat.

Be careful; .308 Win is specced a decent amount higher in pressure than 7.62 NATO. It most likely won't be a problem, particularly in that action, but if it does pop...

The Israeli K98 is neat.

Be careful; .308 Win is specced a decent amount higher in pressure than 7.62 NATO. It most likely won't be a problem, particularly in that action, but if it does pop...

.308 is fine to shoot in a 7.62x51mm designed rifle. But you cannot shoot 7.62x51mm NATO in a rifle designed only for .308.

Same with .223 and 5.56mm

I have about a half dozen K98's 3 of them are the 7.62 rechamber they are neat guns with a cool history behind them ..I have quite the weapons collection!

Attachments

• guns2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 373
  • guns3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 373
  • guns.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 339
.308 is fine to shoot in a 7.62x51mm designed rifle. But you cannot shoot 7.62x51mm NATO in a rifle designed only for .308.

Same with .223 and 5.56mm
Incorrect about .308 and 7.62 NATO. .308 is hotter (and shorter) than 7.62 NATO. However, 5.56 NATO is hotter (and longer) than .223 Win. Feel free to look it up.

Incorrect about .308 and 7.62 NATO. .308 is hotter (and shorter) than 7.62 NATO. However, 5.56 NATO is hotter (and longer) than .223 Win. Feel free to look it up.

Much older rifles chambered in 7.62 you might want to check head spacing but all modern rifles have no problems shooting .308 in a rifle stamped 7.62.

Between police forces and personal protection companies I've shot with, all have used the "civilian" calibers in their NATO stamped weapons.

As for NATO chambers being .longer, if I remember my manual correctly it is 0.013".

And yeah I've looked it up, a lot. In fact fire off an email to Armalite. They openly state their 7.62 rifles are .308 compatible (same with 5.56/223). Bushmaster will also state the same about their rifles. Oh and Springfield will state the same about their M1 rifle. Should throw that in there as well.

From Armalite: All of our AR-10 .308's are NATO chambered and will accept both 7.62 and .308 ammo. The AR-10 can shoot 308 OR 7.62 NATO.

The difference between .308 and 7.62 is chamber size, slight pressure differences due to powder burn rates, not external case size. Both cases will have the same external dimensions while the .308 has a slightly higher pressure 60Kish vice 50-55 CUP psi for NATO**.

**As a side note the reason the pressure issue is confusing is becuase the military measured 7.62 NATO chamber pressure (PSI) via CUP (in the 40s) vice the normal commercial rating of PSI measured (now) with electronic means. You will see many cling to the 50-55K PSI figure for 7.62 Nato becuase that is what the old Army TMs have in them. Since there is no conversion for the CUP measurement to the newer electronic measured PSI, they are two different numbers i.e no direct comparison. Many people will assume the CUP PSI is the same as SAAMI/Commercial PSI. It is not. Commercial PSI is derived from the direct pressure in the chamber through electronic means (piezo transducer or strain gauges). CUP is a crush measurement of a copper slug that has been fired, again not the same test.

Then they're cut as .308 chambers or 5.56 chambers, which will be fine for either one, but either labelled for both or the NATO chamber. Several manufacturers I've talked to advise against .308 in their 7.62 NATO guns...But hey, whatever. Sounds like we're both sticking to our guns. :)

Very cool collections! I just picked up a new Springfield M1A standard for my collection. I haven't fired it yet, the ammo question needs some research. The manual says it will shoot both 7.62 and .308, but the box it came in says .308. Im probably making a big deal from nothing, but I may call springfield

Very cool collections! I just picked up a new Springfield M1A standard for my collection. I haven't fired it yet, the ammo question needs some research. The manual says it will shoot both 7.62 and .308, but the box it came in says .308. Im probably making a big deal from nothing, but I may call springfield
Look below your iron sights. Use the ammo stamped on the barrel. My guess, if its an M1A, will say 7.62. Always use whats stamped on the receiver. Of any rifle. Or handgun. American Eagle sells ammo with a label 'for use with M1A'. Its 7.62x51. Scope that thing(Basset makes a good mount but you will wait a bit). With a good scope, steady hand, good ammo and good eyes you'll knock 'em down at 700 yards.

-
Back