Gladys Gets LED Dash Lights

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know it's not Mopar, but I've been doing a few projects on Gladys the last couple of days. Welded up some holes in her doors where some geniuses over time bolted on the WAY WRONG mirrors. Then I removed and cleaned the cluster and replaced all the bulbs. It calls for 194 but the 168 bulbs are higher wattage and put out a little more light. I also replaced her cluster voltage regulator. The two background illumination bulbs I replaced with 2 ZEVO 168 white LED bulbs. I've had it done in Vixen a while but kinda dragged my feet on Gladys, because she really doesn't get driven at night a lot. It's still daylight in this picture, but you can see the dash is illuminated very brightly. I highly recommend it.
GLADYS DASH LIGHTS.JPG

Last edited:
I know it's not Mopar, but I've been doing a few projects on Gladys the last couple of days. Welded up some holes in her doors where some geniuses over time bolted on the WAY WRONG mirrors. Then I removed and cleaned the cluster and replaced all the bulbs. It calls for 194 but the 168 bulbs are higher wattage and put out a little more light. I also replaced her cluster voltage regulator. The two background illumination bulbs I replaced with 2 ZEVO 168 white LED bulbs. I've had it done in Vixen a while but kinda dragged my feet on Gladys, because she really doesn't get driven at night a lot. It's still daylight in this picture, but you can see the dash is illuminated very brightly. I highly recommend it.
View attachment 1716311319
Good job! When I replaced the lights on my Duster it changed the whole appearance. Less draw on that wiring is a bonus too!

Not to hijack but what bulb would you recommend on a 68 Dart. Green and bright led. Looks great by the way. I used led when I did mine but don't remember what bulb I used lol.

I install LEDs in all my clusters !
These the old eyes see the old gauges . Lol
I had to replace the heater core in my 93 Mazda B2600 last week ( well still working on it) so I popped LEDs in.

Whole damn dash had to come out to get to core !

IMG_1270.jpeg

Last edited:
Not to hijack but what bulb would you recommend on a 68 Dart. Green and bright led. Looks great by the way. I used led when I did mine but don't remember what bulb I used lol.
I get my bulbs from superbrightleds.com but others have them too. Select the location of the bulb you want and you can choose the color.

View attachment 1716311319
Count your blessings that you don't have a '92 and up truck, as guys on the FTE Forum are discovering that replacing the 194 and/or 168 bulbs with LEDs is messing-up their brake lights and turn signals. I haven't been following this all too closely, as both of my '92's still have the original 194 bulbs, but it's a "thing" (may be due to polarity, IIRC).

Nice looking gauges, BTW!

Count your blessings that you don't have a '92 and up truck, as guys on the FTE Forum are discovering that replacing the 194 and/or 168 bulbs with LEDs is messing-up their brake lights and turn signals. I haven't been following this all too closely, as both of my '92's still have the original 194 bulbs, but it's a "thing" (may be due to polarity, IIRC).

Nice looking gauges, BTW!
For that very reason, the only LEDs are in the two cluster illumination sockets and nowhere else. All the other four only got the 168 incandescent bulbs, which is a step up from the 194 that was there. The 168 has a little more wattage and is a little brighter.

I might be overthinking it, that's a possibility. I just wanted to get the correct one without a lot of running back and forth. I live basically in the middle of nowhere and it's easily an hour to the closest retail parts store.

Nope ! Real Mazda
The last year 93

I was actually trying to bust Rusty’s chops, but I’ll settle for multiple victims…..haha

-
Back