Gonna buy me a Mercury.

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnitUduRARg"]Steve Miller Band 2007 (#6)-Mercury Blues - YouTube[/ame]

Oh for those that don't like it because its about a mercury this one has a 70 roadrunner in it :twisted:
[ame]http://youtu.be/JW5UEW2kYvc[/ame]

David Lindley from 1982

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhnbcvyzZBw"]David Lindley and El Rayo-X - Mercury Blues (Live at The Impro 1982) - YouTube[/ame]

Well, the wife finally got her toy. We just brought it home. 1973 Mercury Comet, 302 auto, Furd 9 inch rear. Got all new filters, oil, trans fluid etc with it to do the basics. Also had a new set of headers in the trunk, BONUS. Plans are to rebuild the 302 and "spice" it up a little, frame connecters and a posi unit in the 9 inch. Just want to make it a fun little cruiser.

Car is solid except for some front floor pan repair. So now SHE has the task of joining a Furd forum and start gathering info. She will start addressing the mechanical issues first along with the floor pans (along with my help, yikes) of course after working on it I will have to sterilize my tools so as not to transfer any contagious Furd contaminants to my Mopar. :D

She used to drive one in high school and I have been looking for one for a couple of years for her. We were driving home last weekend and I just happened to spot it out behind a barn, I saw the tail end of it and at first thought it was a crapmaro but we turned around anyway and sure nuff it was a Comet.

The big thing I like about it is now she can't complain when I put money into my ride, hopefully. :D

Interestingly enough the car has also been in a movie that was filmed in Detroit called "Kill the Irishman". She is going to get the DVD so we can check it out. The previous owner said it is in there a couple of times, pretty cool I thought. Here's a couple of quick pics.

View attachment Arrival 1.jpg

View attachment Arrival 2.jpg

View attachment Arrival 3.jpg

View attachment Arrival 4.jpg

Oh, and I drove it home. The real kick in the pants is it didn't cost me a dime! I did a little horse tradin for it.

Nice Furd LOL. There are a few forms out there the one I suggest one called The Ford Falcon News even thought you have a Comet. The information you need will be motor and trans. related, just scroll through the site you will come across the info your looking for.
Or PM me my second love is my Falcon next to my Dart, I just rebuilt a C4 Trans. and now rebuilding a 289 Hi Po. for a customer.

Kenny

Nice Furd LOL. There are a few forms out there the one I suggest one called The Ford Falcon News even thought you have a Comet. The information you need will be motor and trans. related, just scroll through the site you will come across the info your looking for.
Or PM me my second love is my Falcon next to my Dart, I just rebuilt a C4 Trans. and now rebuilding a 289 Hi Po. for a customer.

Kenny

Thanks for the heads up on the forum, I will pass that along to the wife. I intend for her to do the research, ask the questions, get the answers etc.

She will be tasked with finding the parts while trying to work within a budget. Hopefully it will give her some insight as to what I go through trying to put my car together. :D

Steve Miller Band = Good music:cheers:
C

When I was 20 (1984) I bought a 73 Comet 302 auto, factory hood scoop, buckets, floor shift with only 51,000 miles from the estate auction of the original owner. Got it for $300, can you believe it! It was yellow and in great shape although I never liked the brown color of the interior. As for performance I thought when I was buying it I'd be getting something with at least a little guts but that wasn't the case. It ran smooth as silk and took off real good but had no top end at all. Put a tach on it and it'd barely pull to 4200 rpm. I never did much to it (I was a kid with no money, LOL) but always suspected the heads were probably Briggs and Stratton valved peanut ports by how it acted. Small block Fords can be made to run real good now with all the aftermarket stuff they have. Best wishes to your wife and her new wheels.

p.s. love that Stevie "guitar" Miller music

I never had a Merc but I bought a really nice Galaxy 500 for six hundred bucks once.
Had 66 Thunderbird when I was in high school.

BTW
I have the song by Alan Jackson if you want it.
Just right click the link and save.
[ame]http://www.letsgocomputers.com/music/mercury.mp3[/ame]

And the Steve Miller version only not live so it sounds better.
[ame]http://www.letsgocomputers.com/music/SMMercury.mp3[/ame]

I may be into the Mopar habit now , but I started with Ford and Mercury . My first car was a 1964 Mercury Monterey , with the electric back glass . Bought it from my Dads estate . Loved that car . I've had a '64 Galaxie 500 XL , a '62 Galaxie XL , several Cougars , Elites , and Gran Torinos . And my '64 Falcon Sprint . But I am looking at a factory purple '63 Mercury Marauder right now , if the guy will ever set his price , its mine . But I'm still Mopar . A Marauder with a 413 Maxie , hmm ??????

Had a Comet, it was nice. Rather get me one of these...
Pic from Street Rod Nationals East - York PA 6/1/13

Attachments

• 2013-06-01 10.07.06.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 181
That year comet is cool . They offered that as a nose/wing car as the superbird back then. It was called the. Dragonfly. I remember it driving around the only thing that gave it away was the taillights. The nose looked like an old 240 Z

I looked through the still photos of the movie "Kill the Irishman" and sure enough the wife's car we just picked up is there.

I had somewhat doubted what the guy was telling us but he wasn't lying.

Attachments

• movie pic.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 142
Theres a guy in my Nostalgia racin group,that runs a Comet and does pretty dam good too.I will try to snap some pics of it this weekend while hes running mid 11,s looking pretty much stock.

First car,69 Cougar. Too many street racing tickets in it.A friend had that same body style,and year. Went with the factory medium green that year. Put some Appliance 5 spokes(Cragar knockoffs,early 70's),painted the earlier Maverick" Grabber" flat black on the hood. Bruce,that was a sharp looking dude.Nice find,btw....

Theres a guy in my Nostalgia racin group,that runs a Comet and does pretty dam good too.I will try to snap some pics of it this weekend while hes running mid 11,s looking pretty much stock.

Hey do that and post em here. I'm trying to convince the wife we should take it up a notch from stock and she ain't wantin' no part of that, lmao.

First car,69 Cougar. Too many street racing tickets in it.A friend had that same body style,and year. Went with the factory medium green that year. Put some Appliance 5 spokes(Cragar knockoffs,early 70's),painted the earlier Maverick" Grabber" flat black on the hood. Bruce,that was a sharp looking dude.Nice find,btw....

A friend of mine had the Grabber and I told him if he ever sold it to call me. Well he sold it and the wife reeeaally wanted that car, it was in awesome condition.

The person that bought it parked it out behind their barn and threw a tarp over it and it hasn't moved since. Been close to ten years, just sitting there rotting away.

Just finished watching the movie. Sure enough it's in two different scenes in the film. Good movie too if anyone is interested. Based on a true story about the mafia in Cleveland, OH in the 70's.

It's called Kill the Irishman, good flick.

Found another pic of the wife's car. Dark blue Comet on the right.

Attachments

• KillIrishforum.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 68
-
Back