good idea for containing mess from engine teardown

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had cases of bed pads from when he was caring for his ailing elderly mother. After she died he had cases upon cases of bed pads and depends. Knowing my wife worked in a nursing care facility.he asked us if we would be willing to take a few cases to donate. After we said yes, he dumped about a dozen cases in my driveway.

Well i kept 2 fifteen count packages of the bed pads. I figure i can lay a few of em out on the garage floor and set my engine stand on top of them when i do my 318's teardown. Let all the dirt and grease and oil drop onto these, then roll em up and put em in the trash.

Great idea and pretty cheap for engine or tranny teardowns. Super absorbant.

What do y'all think of this idea.

Matt

Sorry Rani, no pix. Not gonna open the package till im ready to tear down my engine. Theres 15 bed pads to a package they are roughly 3x4 foot. Are absorbant diaper like material, one side is a vinyl plastic like material. I was going to double em up under my stand when i decide to pull my engine apart.

thats a great idea ....do you have any pics....im having a hard time getting a mental image of this. :eek:ops:

Not that I'm a stickler but.. Your disposal would be illegal per EPA reg's. May be just as flamable as oil soaked rags too.

redfish, that is true about the EPA, however when everybody does their teardown and rebuilds how do any of you dispose of the mess? im sure if you put a pan under the engine it contains most of it. but you still have to wipe out the the pan you put under it. where do those rags, or paper towels go?

i dont think there really is any EPA compliant way to do this. years ago i used to use easy off oven cleaner, and a garden hose, and wash the stuff out into the street.

i imagine if you put the used bed pads into a trash bag and tie it off, then put that inside a second trash bag and tie it off, it would be ok. people throw away their 1 quart plastic oil containers in the reg trash too.

matt

I have 2 catch pans, one for coolant only since I will filter and reuse it whenever possible.
The other pan is for everything else. If it does get a little cleaning ( rare ) its done with brakeclean into the same funnel and jug.
I haul away my own trash and the place has a receiever for about everything, Motor oil with trans fluid, dirt, etc. in the mix. Another spot for empty oil bottles, a place for cooking oils, a place for batteries, clear glass, green glass, steel cans, alum' cans, on and on.
In fact I'm going there later this morning. Right now there are 2 blue Maxwell House coffee containers by my back door filled with deep fryer grease.
2 !?!? yeah the wife collects that under the kitchen sink and I forget it unless she sits it out in my path LOL
Anyway..
I'll leave those upside down on the catch basin/receiver. Sometime later the attendant there will toss those in plastics recycle.
Most Americans including my neighbors who use the same facility I do who recycle nothing. Everything they take there goes into the same gerenal garbage. My parents in their 70s recycle nothing. Recycling wasn't taught to their generation. Add all those seniors to all those who are in too big a hurry to bother or simply dont care and you have many more that dont than those who do.
I see recycling sort of like seatbelts. There will be have to be fines paid to force the average American to wise up and play right.
Actually there are munisipalities where someone does sort through your garbage and they can fine you for improper disposal. Got a grand ?

I have 2 catch pans, one for coolant only since I will filter and reuse it whenever possible.
The other pan is for everything else. If it does get a little cleaning ( rare ) its done with brakeclean into the same funnel and jug.
I haul away my own trash and the place has a receiever for about everything, Motor oil with trans fluid, dirt, etc. in the mix. Another spot for empty oil bottles, a place for cooking oils, a place for batteries, clear glass, green glass, steel cans, alum' cans, on and on.
In fact I'm going there later this morning. Right now there are 2 blue Maxwell House coffee containers by my back door filled with deep fryer grease.
2 !?!? yeah the wife collects that under the kitchen sink and I forget it unless she sits it out in my path LOL
Anyway..
I'll leave those upside down on the catch basin/receiver. Sometime later the attendant there will toss those in plastics recycle.
Most Americans including my neighbors who use the same facility I do who recycle nothing. Everything they take there goes into the same gerenal garbage. My parents in their 70s recycle nothing. Recycling wasn't taught to their generation. Add all those seniors to all those who are in too big a hurry to bother or simply dont care and you have many more that dont than those who do.
I see recycling sort of like seatbelts. There will be have to be fines paid to force the average American to wise up and play right.
Actually there are munisipalities where someone does sort through your garbage and they can fine you for improper disposal. Got a grand ?

We have a recycle center too. Old tires , car batteries, waste oil, oil filters, glass etc. i take my oil filters, and waste oil there. We dont have a spot there for the plastic quart oil containers, otherwise id take them there too. when i clean parts i use mineral spirits, and dump it in with my waste oil. I do try to keep this out of the landfills. But when you have an engine with 40 years worth of dried on oil and crust what do you do. Scrape most of it off on dissassembly. Not gonna let this end up on my shop floor. Used to have a teardown pan to set under my engine stand. Dont have it anymore. Even so you still would have to wipe the pan out when your done. What do you do with the oily rags or paper towels. My recycle doesnt have a place for that.

Don't tell anyone but I use these on the floor in my garage and they work great!!

-
Back