Grant Tuff Wheel Install

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
I want to put a tuff wheel into my 70 Swinger, so I picked up a wheel from Classic Industries WHEEL and splurged and bought an A body steering wheel adapter can CAN , and I already have a Grant install kit currently in use with another Grant wheel in my car.
The problem is, I dont see how I can make this can work with this wheel and horn. Two problems..... first, the holes in the wheel are countersunk for screws to go through when mounting, but the can has studs in the correct pattern as the wheel, but they are too large to go through. Second, I dont know how the horn button would be retained using the can.
Has anyone been in this situation with these parts? Am I sending the can back and just using the Grant adapter kit?
20240823_223714.jpg
20240823_223908.jpg

I put one on several years ago, and it wasn't too bad? My Dart had the ignition switch in the dash, and I had to cut the can open, but that shouldn't be a problem for yours.

Drilling the holes to the correct size (didn't have to on mine) shouldn't be difficult. The Grant installation kit seemed a little cheap to me and the horn button popped off every once in a while but not too bad. Make sure that you have the correct installation kit. The spring goes up against the wheel and then the round plastic piece adapts it to the horn button (if I remember correctly). Hope this helps!

1724492574690.jpeg

@BrianT thanks for the info. I wasnt too concerned about drilling out the wheel holes, other than having to drill a brand new wheel, but getting the horn to stay mounted was a concern. I thought that I would possibly have to use the adapter(that slides onto the splined shaft) that comes in the Grant mounting kit behind the wheel so that the round retainer piece can bolt to it, otherwise there is nothing for it to bolt to, and therefore nothing for the horn to attach to.

It's been a dozen years since I did it, and I no longer have the car. Wish I could help more.

-
Back