Green Horn and it shows!

-

MoparRookie

Reaction score
So this morning went out started my Duster as I do every morning and drove around the block and parked it. Now I just went out to run down the street and fill the tank and it won't start.

I have never had any problems with it starting in the past as a matter of fact I was just telling my wife this morning how funny it was that such an old car will start right up when you just barely touching the starter.

The starter will turn so I assume its not the battery but it just wont fire up.

Not looking for anyone to diagnose the problem more less looking for a couple things I could try before I panic lol

This car is my gateway into the engine world so try to pull the punches a bit on the dummy posts!

Here a few pics of under the hood if that helps in anyway...

Attachments

• Photo0141.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 206
  • Photo0140.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 202
  • Photo0139.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Photo0138.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 197
  • Photo0137.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Photo0136.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 213
If the car is turning over, and if it sounds like it is firing until you release the key, the culprit is usually the ballast resistor. Located on the firewall. White, ceramic, with wires going in both ends. You can jump it to verify it runs, but dont keep it running without it.

If it is not firing at all, pop a sparkplug wire and (holding it with insulated pliers), hold it so the plug boot is almost touching the block (ground). When someone turns the car over, a spark should be jumping/arcing to ground. Then you know you have spark.

Of course, our cars are notorious for running out of gas and not correctly indicating it to us lol..

Grant

I ran down to the gas station hoping all the way there I had let it run empty and that would be all that the problem was. No luck there :banghead:

I will try what you suggested with the spark plugs. I know its got to be something some one with experience would be like "oh well it's this..."

Is there any good books any body can recommend a total newb like myself. Thinking of enrolling in a few classes at the local community collage.

Check for fuel and spark. Fuel is easy, look down carb and push the throttle shaft. You should see gas coming out of the accelrator pump. Check spark as above.

I dont see an electronic ignition box in the pics. Might be somewhere I dont see. If your car is not using one, it may use points in the distributor. Pop off the distributor cap and look for them. They can cause a no spark as well. They open and close as the distributor rotates and allow the spark to go from the coil to each of the sparkplugs as needed.

Grant

Slant Six distributor location is prone to accumulation of moisture and often builds up corrosion, and then just does not work. I changed over to a electronic ignition and change the cap and rotor once a year. Never had any problems since

In the last picture I think I see the stuff for the seatbelt interlock, so that means it's at least a '74 and has electronic ignition. I think I also see a dual-ballast.

When my Valiant stopped dead like that it was the ignition box which on your car should be attached to the left front fender apron under the hood back toward the hinge. Has a big 4 or 5 wire plug on it. Pick up a new one and try it. If it runs you fixed it. If it doesn't, you need the box as a spare anyway because they just about all fail at some point.

in the last picture i think i see the stuff for the seatbelt interlock, so that means it's at least a '74 and has electronic ignition. I think i also see a dual-ballast.

When my valiant stopped dead like that it was the ignition box which on your car should be attached to the left front fender apron under the hood back toward the hinge. Has a big 4 or 5 wire plug on it. Pick up a new one and try it. If it runs you fixed it. If it doesn't, you need the box as a spare anyway because they just about all fail at some point.

x2

Well Happy New Year to me I guess.

Went out this morning to start down the list of suggestions and she fired right up! :cheers:

Now I'm not foolish enough to think nothing is wrong so I will still run down the list and pick up the books that have been suggested to me.

Still a :newb: after all!

Thanks a ton everyone.

-
Back