Grinding noise and erratic speedometer

-

mygtsissweet

Reaction score
So I'm going along cruising smoothly and all sudden I hear are wearing sound like something grinding and the speedometer starts going from like 30 to 1 150 doesn't appear to be anything that serious I put it in neutral and gave it some gas and the engine sounds the same sounds like something external like Speedo cable maybe going or is it shot already please help me

Try lubricating the speedometer AND the cable. Either one can cause your symptoms if dry. I've had to lube them on several cars. Now if I could just remember what lube I used. Speedometer cable lubricant for the cable, can't remember what I used for the speedometer.

Unscrew the cable from the speedometer. Slide the inner cable out. Clean it good and allow it to dry completely. Then lubricate it liberally with graphite and reinstall it.

I believe I used 3-in-1 oil for the speedometer itself. Graphite speedometer cable lubricant on the cable. Pull the cable out of its sheath, lube it all the way down, but wipe the top 6 inches or so dry because it will wick up and get into the speedometer, which according to what I've read says is not good. Anyway, what I used to lubricate speedometers and cables has held up for years in 3-4 different cars. And these were cars that were making quite a racket before being lubed.

-
Back