gt35/gt45 twin turbo dart

-

BRONZEBEE

Reaction score
I have seen what Mad dart is doing(thanks),and i have just finished mini tub and a spring relocation and an 8 point roll bar to fit on a 70 swinger.Doing mock up on a 360 with a a500 and an 8 3/4.Now for the questions,after reading Mad darts progress i'm thinking turbos.I have been looking for a few months on the turbo forum and i'm thinking that the e bay gt45 turbos will be to big for my 360,then i looked into the gt35 would be closer to my goals,but after looking at the track record of the gt35's i'm thinking the gt45's again.This will be a street car and a blow through set up, 360 no stroker 587 heads with a mild porting, haven't picked a cam yet because of the turbo size.I didn't want a turbo to make boost at 4000 rpm,but i don't want to restrict it ether.I would like to make 750-850 hp.Have shorty headers to use which will work if i modify a couple tubes,i like these headers because of the 1/2 flanges.This is my first turbo project(IF YOU CAN'T TELL) and i don't want it to sit in a corner because of a bad decision.Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.I have been trying to get registered to the turbo forums but not having much success,but would like to give the Mopar crowed first crack.:newb:

I have a brand new solid roller crower cam that I was going to run in my twin turbo 416 stroker http://www.crower.com/mopar-273-360-la-street-roller-cam-290-r-8620-billet.html I also have new inbox schubeck lifters to go with the cam... I will sell if interested.. The only reason I''m not going to use this exact set up is b/c I went with a 48* block b/c of my W9 48* heads... and this is for a 59* block like urs or any other LA style block.

Put a single MP70 on it and be done. Has a smaller 3.5" DP and a single oil feed/return kit. Your 360 isn't much different than a SBC. Guys over on ttf are screaming with the MP70. There are several builders using the GT45 turbos with good results too. I chose to use the T6 plateform for a "Possible" future upgrade.
We all know what happens with fast toys! FASTER!

Alot depends on your exact intentions. Street or Strip or Both. Several factors determine "What" turbo apllies to your setup.

There is a "STICKY" at the top of this forum. "Turbo Bible" Read thoroughly.
Call a vendor to help you choose a turbo or turbo's that fit your needs/goals.

There are several members here that are members of ttf as well. I'm real close to firing my big single for the first time. Anxious but a little relluctant. Alot of cash to screw up from one mistake, take your time. Since your going boosted carb read everything you can find on Blow-through carbs. That still isn't enough information to learn on a Holley. Don't get me wrong! Some folks have spent a great deal of time spreading their knowledge from research and development of their own. Carbs are tricky so be ready. AFR setup is critical!

Good luck and have fun! Its alot of work! Especially "Twins"!!

Not needing a cam right now,but thanks for the offer.I don't think you will have a problem selling it.:)

Thanks for your reply cuudak,this will be a street car only thats why i was looking to go with smaller twins.I have not looked into the mp70,but will have a look.Thanks for some direction.I understand that blow through is not the best for the street,but is more budget friendly at this time.Ilike the idea of twins but a single is not out of the question.Thanks for the help.:banghead:

You are headed down an long and treturous road my friend. This turbo stuff takes alot of time and patients. When I first started mine I thought I would be done in a few months, complete but as you see I was wrong.

The M70 I think would fall short of your 750-850HP Goal. If it were me on a 360 I would go with a single set up. This is the Turbo I would be looking at. There are guys making some serious power with it reliable and inexpensive too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gt4292-gt42...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6bf66aef#ht_5407wt_1032

Take out your Battery Tray, mount it and go to town!

Have fun.

After talking with a few people,maybe the single is the way to go,thanks.Any input on the mp t-76 q trim with 1.00a/r.found one for 650 new,i'm thinking its a little big.

Thamks for the info Mad dart,i'm thinking on the mp t-76 because a guy has one on craigslist new never installed,what d you think?

Thamks for the info Mad dart,i'm thinking on the mp t-76 because a guy has one on craigslist new never installed,what d you think?

Again, you will need to know the V.E. of the engine your building to get an exact turbo size for your application. You will need to know how to read a compressor map as well.

Best bet is call one of the vendors here or over on TTF to help you out. I used "Forced Inductions" for the right turbo. Sometimes he is a bit hard to get ahold of but keep trying! IIRC his name is Jose.

I am using the BIG PIG B/W T6 S480 and targeting 8-850hp for my 411" low deck. It has a 80mm compressor wheel with a 83 turbine and 1.10 A/R turbine housing. I opted for the smaller turbine and housing to obtain full boost by 28-3000rpm. The numbers on paper look good but we will soon see when the beast is running.

Your asking for alot of hp for a stock 360! More reasonable at 600hp but what do I know, I'm a newbie too!

I have had a N/A setup over 900hp and ran mid/upper 8's in the 1/4. This turbo stuff is waaaaayyyyy different!!

Picked up a new gt45 of craigslist last night,new never used for 200.00.After looking at chevy 350's running them i should be close to my goal,for the money i will take this way for now with a single setup and do some learning as i go.
I thought about dropping in a 360 magnum for a little testing.Still have lots of tubing to run yeat,so i can use my money for a wastegate and blow off valves.
I could get 650 hp with this set up,i would of liked the 750-850 hp range but its hard to breath with my head in the clouds.:angel7:
Thanks for your input,you have guys have helped alot:burnout:

Don't run a waste gate and you will get 650 out of that single GT45. Let it wick all the way up and don't let anything escape!! Guys that run 20 plus PSI with this Turbo usually end up using huge springs to keep the waste gate shut. Some even hit it with some NOS!

Junkyard 5.3, EBAY GT45 Single Turbo, NO Intercooler and he told me he wired the Waste Gate Shut. Smacked it with a 75 Shot of Dry NOS thru the whole run. Got 22psi or so in this run. Pretty sure it went 119MPH in the 1/8th. With that poke in the run he ran a 6.05 or so.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTV8QTIVYB0&feature=player_embedded"]michasmovie.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

It will never hit a track,so running no wastegate will work?I assume i will still have to run blow off valve.
Isn't the wastegate a good idea for the street.You don't think it will spool on the street with a wastegate?

Thanks for the replys guys,keep it comming.

It will never hit a track,so running no wastegate will work?I assume i will still have to run blow off valve.
Isn't the wastegate a good idea for the street.You don't think it will spool on the street with a wastegate?

Thanks for the replys guys,keep it comming.

If your Goal is 650HP you are going to need at least 15PSI. Most guys that are into the Turbo stuff say 650HP and they are talking to the Tires not at the crank. This is why I was throwing out the Idea about the wastegate. Yes regardless of a wastegate or not, you will need a blow off valve. Yes a single GT45 will spool probably at around 2600RPM on that 318. If you want those numbers out of a stockish 318, you will need to figure out a way to keep the PSI up and not letting it escape thru the wastegate is all.

Thanks for the quick reply,but is your idea the same with the 360?I like the idea of have a wastegate if something goes wrong.
After looking at the price of wastegates your idea was sounding good,but the plan is to run a built engine later down the road.

Thanks for the quick reply,but is your idea the same with the 360?I like the idea of have a wastegate if something goes wrong.
After looking at the price of wastegates your idea was sounding good,but the plan is to run a built engine later down the road.

Run the wastegate, I was just giving ideas is all. Your Gunna need a lot of boost to hit your goal was my point.

Just finished cleaning all the metal shavings and flashing from the housing,and there is a lot of it.
Thanks for your input Mad dart,can,t wait to see up and running.:burnout:

-
Back