Guys this is why you work on your car trailer

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry but I wouldn’t tow my duster to get an ice cream cone on a trailer like this. And never would I tow out of state to go to a show or race track. This guy got his truck and trailer off the main road but his duster is sitting along the road. He’s calling for Facebook help now. I would hate to see the rest of the trailer as I probably wouldn’t sleep tonight.

IMG_4476.jpeg

There is an interesting trick, run the rear tie down strap though the open doors. Then slam the doors shut and go.

☆☆☆☆☆

There is an interesting trick, run the rear tie down strap though the open doors. Then slam the doors shut and go.

☆☆☆☆☆
I've seen it done with the windows rolled down and the strap pushed through over the top of the doors and cinched to the trailer rails. But it was an old Chevy Cavalier...LOL

I’m sorry but I wouldn’t tow my duster to get an ice cream cone on a trailer like this. And never would I tow out of state to go to a show or race track. This guy got his truck and trailer off the main road but his duster is sitting along the road. He’s calling for Facebook help now. I would hate to see the rest of the trailer as I probably wouldn’t sleep tonight.

View attachment 1716302857
I'm not on FB, but I'd be real curious to see if this guy replaces one axle only...or both.

Or scraps-out the entire trailer, even.

Scary to think that these people are out there on the road with us.

Does PA inspect trailers yearly to get the licence renewal? I'm in Wash state, the only thing they inspect yealy is your wallet, high tabs and taxes out here, they is Calif as the model.

That trailer is garbage, like some of the project cars at Carlisle. I have never seen such rusted junk as there.

Last edited:
Does PA inspect trailers yearly to get the licence renewal?

That trailer is garbage, like some of the project cars at Carlisle. I have never seen such rusted junk as there.

It looks like this gentleman is from Ohio from his profile but the plate didn’t look like an Ohio plate. I tried to crop the picture down as much as possible because that’s not the point of the post. Pennsylvania has yearly state inspections for any trailer that weighs 3000 pounds gross. Which a car trailer is way over that. He was heading to Bowling Green

Surely not a Pa. tag. I would not pass this thing for inspection, or even use it, that's for sure. If I was a cop & saw this on the road, I would red flag it! It's just plain dangerous.

Good tire though

Every time I see a rusty, rusty junky old truck driving down the street, I think to myself what does the rest of it look like. Kansas does not have inspections. You can drive a car until it’s way beyond unsafe to be on the road.

Just so guys know if you are ever stuck this way and have a local tractor supply or Rural King store around you they can probably get you fixed up.

This really, REALLY pokes a sore spot. This happened to me, a couple weeks ago, at 4am, to my trailer that had been dependable as a rock, for thirty
years.
Tire, wheel, electric brake, axle stub disappeared along I-15 somewhere, (yes, of course I looked!).
I'm betting the new axle will cost way more than I paid for the trailer......
(And yep, that my 33 on the trailer in my avatar)

20240911_180530.jpg

20240911_180522.jpg

Wow, a little bearing maintenance goes along way for that boat guy. The inner race of the roller bearings are still there, but the cage and rollers are gone. That was going south for a while before it completely quit.

Ya ask Jay on here about that. He takes his tires off the trailer every trip just to get two years out of them. The sun and road heat tear these tires up way before the tread is 1/2 gone. Especially with an overloaded enclosed trailer. @A body

Prior to storing my trailer tires inside for the summer (June through Sept) we’d get two year on them…… maybe 3, but it was on that 3 we’d lose one or two. My present tires are dated coded 2019. By far the most we’ve gotten out of a trailer tire since moving to the desert. I also store the tires from our 14’ open trailer inside unless we’re going somewhere. That one is easy to do that routine on.

This really, REALLY pokes a sore spot. This happened to me, a couple weeks ago, at 4am, to my trailer that had been dependable as a rock, for thirty
years.
Tire, wheel, electric brake, axle stub disappeared along I-15 somewhere, (yes, of course I looked!).

View attachment 1716303006

View attachment 1716303007
If needed I can get you an axle at my cost which is less than 1/2 of retail.
I get to So Cal most every week consulting and I would enjoy see you!
It is a 3500 Lb. non brake axle which is inexpensive.

If you supply me the measurements, I have a lot of take off 3500 axles that
I have switched for 6000 axles for customers. You could have any of those for
free.

I do not think you are one of my enemies from years ago = I Hope.

About 15 years ago or maybe more the low ball / low cost Trailer Builders started
putting on Junky Chinese Components including Axles.

They have been a real nightmare for the trailer buyers in a couple years or less
depending upon how much you use them.

However, this junk cost less than 1/2 of what I pay for American made quality components
from companies that have been around for most of the last 100 years.

When you lose your job or your business to a Chinese or other cut rate offshore
manufacturer = What happens next?

Okay, folks, I have a question. I do NOT do Fakebook. Do people really post things like this in the hopes that someone will come and help?
All the time. If it was local and someone I knew, I'd go help. But they would catch HELL the whole time for not maintaining their junk.

years.

View attachment 1716303006

View attachment 1716303007
No wonder it broke. There's a ridiculous amount of leverage on that vertical arm. I think I would use lowering blocks instead and use a straight axle.

-
Back