harmonic balancer with timing marks?

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I just got my 383 running in my dart. The engine is a mild high perfomance build with stock bottom end and 10.5:1 pistons and eddy heads. the short block was balanced and blue printed. My question is this. I have a BHJ SFi approved harmonic balancer on the engine but the timing marks dont go up high enough to set my timing at full advance. I cant keep a timing tape on it. they fly off. Can i buy another balancer and install it or will that throw off my crank balance?

What I have done in the past is measure on the timing tape how far is it to where you want to time it. Just an example say it'd 2 1/4" from 0 to 34. Go from your 0 on your balancer "you did check to make sure the 0 on the balancer is at TDC" to what ever you measured an mark it.

Fred B

anyone tried putting on the timing tape and then clear coat spray painting it after? think that would hold it on? I have an MSD distributor that is fully adjustable and i would like to be able to see the marks clearly to adjust my timing curve without having to guess.

just measure like 340dart said, each 1/16" is 1 degree. cut a groove with a hacksaw at were ever you want your total timing at. next put paint in the groove that contrast with the color of the balancer.

i would rather not cut a groove in the new balancer. i would like to purchase a new one that has the degrees on it already. i just dont know if the balancer is balanced to my crank? or are they all neutral balanced?

anyone tried putting on the timing tape and then clear coat spray painting it after? think that would hold it on? I have an MSD distributor that is fully adjustable and i would like to be able to see the marks clearly to adjust my timing curve without having to guess.

Yes,
Make sure the balancer is ultra clean.
Dust the balancer with clear coat, let it tack up.
Stick the timing tape to the balancer.
Dust clear coat over the timing tape, if you put it on heavy the numbers get foggy.
Let dry 12 hrs then put a good heavy coat over the tape.
Worked for me using the mopar tape.

Yes,
Make sure the balancer is ultra clean.
Dust the balancer with clear coat, let it tack up.
Stick the timing tape to the balancer.
Dust clear coat over the timing tape, if you put it on heavy the numbers get foggy.
Let dry 12 hrs then put a good heavy coat over the tape.
Worked for me using the mopar tape.

thank you! i thought that should work.

Just FYI: Old school (non digital ),MSD's,don't work with newer digital timing lights.JHMOE.

Just FYI: Old school (non digital ),MSD's,don't work with newer digital timing lights.JHMOE.

i have a brand new msd 6al that i bought 8 yrs ago. it still has the rev chips in it. i ordered the msd timing tape and will be putting it on and clear coating over it. i want to fully tune my timing curve. i have the msd billet dist. with adjustable curve and sweep.

-
Back