Has anybody recently bought a slant six crate engine?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Guys: I'm considering purchasing a crate engine for my 1974 Duster 225 six. Has anyone out there bought a crate slant six recently? Ever? Are they even available for purchase? Whaddya think?

i know you can get reman long blocks. they are (or used to be) about 1800~2K

but like a crate style with all the fixins? i don't know if such a thing exists.

if the angle is hitting the easy button and getting something that you can snap together with limited drama then that's reman long block all day.

but if it's all about the coin, then rebuild what you got but be ready for the night boat to Cairo what with dealing with a machine shop. unless you already got an in, that is.

dunno, I'd find a core motor and find a machine shop and build it yourself....deck the block and heads while you're at it for more compression, backcut the valves, etc...

dunno, I'd find a core motor and find a machine shop and build it yourself....deck the block and heads while you're at it for more compression, backcut the valves, etc...
Hard to find a good machine shop, any more. Had several in my area, years ago. Most have closed up, one only does Jeep engine rebuilds, and one that is still open has a long wait list.

Man, for all that machine work I'd put a magnum in it. But if that's not an option yes an engine shop will rebuild it. I would advise learning how to check your own engine internals and heads to determine if they need rebuilt heads are fairly easy to do a go/no go check on valve guides, it requires a valve spring compressor and hand lapping valves works also on an overhaul but if you want completely fresh rebuilt, and you wanna pay there's always someone out there. Keep in mind machine shops are drying up all over the country and whoever is left will be backed up and able to charge whatever they want . Shop around and be wiliing to travel to find the best machine shop. Engine shops are probably still alive in big city areas, but there is always a hidden guy in farm country also and that is word of mouth...speaking of which we should start a thread of "still operating engine building shops" in each state :)

Man, for all that machine work I'd put a magnum in it.

oh yes, because the best course of action to the headache of machine work is the expense of a doing a motor swap which the intricacies, parts gathering and financial aspects totally outstrip the minor inconvenience of... *checks notes* a basic motor rebuild.

rrriiiiggghhhhtttt

My block has been at the machine shop since before Christmas. Honestly, if they have long blocks on the shelf ready to crate and ship with a warranty then I’d say go for it. If I started the project now I’d likely not see the block again until early summer.

My machinist said it was going to be about $2k-$2500 for valve guides, hardened seats, .060 off the head, .020 off the block, .030 over, crank polished, balanced, rods rebuilt, machine shop supplied pistons and bearings. Then I’ve got about $382 for cam, and lifter regrind, springs, keepers and retainers from Oregon Cam. Plus my labor to put it together and no warranty.

The price of a junk yard Magnum in NH is $350 when I looked 6 months ago which is way more bang for the buck but for some reason it seemed a better fit to keep the slant in my more-door early A body.

-
Back