Has anyone ever actually SEEN one of these?

-

Professor Fate

Push the button, Max...
Reaction score
http://www.thenewhemi.com/
Have read about these for years, but have NEVER seen one in the flesh. WAAAY too pricey for me, and not sure it's money well spent- but I've never seen any flow specs or actual dyno tests either...

the new hemi
Have read about these for years, but have NEVER seen one in the flesh. WAAAY too pricey for me, and not sure it's money well spent- but I've never seen any flow specs or actual dyno tests either...
Yep. Many years ago. Good idea in theory but it never got off the ground.

They were doing that with 383's back in the 70's for Pro Stock.

image0-3.jpg

how old do those picture on their website look to you?
Kinda my point- these things have been out there for years, but have never actually seen any or seen any dyno tests or anything- you'd think they'd try to get some into circulation just to prove their viablility. Even for crazy money you'd think someone by now would have put them through their paces or put them on a "glitter car". For that money you're into real hemi territory with actual parts availability... but I'm still curious.

I remember the ones for a 440 block back in the 90's. I think Stage V was the name of the company?

Just on that web site. I like the idea, but 13K for 600 HP. Think about that for a minute. lol

These days we have a readily available, actual factory small block hemi (same bore spacing as the A and LA small blocks). Not much reason to spend huge $$$$ to convert an LA wedge to a hemi, I wouldn't think.

I'm not sure it IS a good idea. The simple fact is, the larger the bore spacing, the more room you have for big valves. Since a B/RB hemi conversion is at least similar to 426 dimensions, that at least makes some sense

I'm not sure it IS a good idea. The simple fact is, the larger the bore spacing, the more room you have for big valves. Since a B/RB hemi conversion is at least similar to 426 dimensions, that at least makes some sense
Thinking along those lines, the small cube Gen1 Hemi's weren't powerhouses although they weren't performance engines. Low compression, mild cam 2 barrels. You really have to work them to get a horse/cube and 250 horse out of a 241 isn't a big deal. They are cool though. Hey, I wonder what the bore spacing and head bolt pattern is compared to a LA? LOL

241 red ram.jpg

Thinking along those lines, the small cube Gen1 Hemi's weren't powerhouses although they weren't performance engines. Low compression, mild cam 2 barrels. You really have to work them to get a horse/cube and 250 horse out of a 241 isn't a big deal. They are cool though. Hey, I wonder what the bore spacing and head bolt pattern is compared to a LA? LOL

View attachment 1715558159
Plus they were made out of something akin to dwarf star matter...talk about heavy..

Post # 11 nails it, in so many ways. But possibly the biggest advantage of the new Hemi block over the converted LA block is the cross bolted main caps in a structurally reinforced block design. It's part of how they can make stupid power numbers and still be a reliable daily driver. The more I research the Gen III, the more I feel like I need one...

Thinking along those lines, the small cube Gen1 Hemi's weren't powerhouses although they weren't performance engines. Low compression, mild cam 2 barrels.
This is true but keep in mind cube for cube vs the competition these early HEMI engine mopped they floor with them.

After I retire, I’d d like to find one of any size and use it in a chopped, channeled & stretched 33 Dodge or Plymouth hot rod.

Nothing looks more right than a HEMI in a Hot Rod.
It doesn’t even have to breath fire. It just has to be a HEMI!

Just on that web site. I like the idea, but 13K for 600 HP. Think about that for a minute. lol
i'm close to that $$ amount with my stroker and only have 510- 320 hp i'm looking into this

Bore spacing:

53-58 Dodge hemi/poly: 4.1875
52-57 DeSoto hemi: 4.3125
51-58 Chrysler hemi/poly: 4.5625
56-up Plymouth/corporate poly/wedge: 4.46
58-78 big block: 4.80

Note: Victory Library has a list of common bore spacings, but mistakenly lists the gen III hemi as 4.09, which is the actual bore of the 6.4 liter hemi, not the bore spacing. Bore spacing of the Gen III is the same 4.46 as the poly/wedge 318 etc. (273, 277, 301, 303, 313, 318, 326, 340, 360).

Last edited:
Don’t look like that engine would even come close to bolting in my dart with out extensive body mods. Would be a cool show car though.

Bore spacing:

53-58 Dodge hemi/poly: 4.1875
52-57 DeSoto hemi: 4.3125
51-58 Chrysler hemi/poly: 4.5625
57-up Plymouth/corporate poly/wedge: 4.46
58-78 big block: 4.80

Note: Victory Library has a list of common bore spacings, but mistakenly lists the gen III hemi as 4.09, which is the actual bore of the 6.4 liter hemi, not the bore spacing. Bore spacing of the Gen III is the same 4.46 as the poly/wedge 318 etc. (277, 301, 303, 313, 318, 326, 340, 360).
Thanks. Damn, that won't work then. LOL

-
Back