Has anyone had any problems installing this TCI trans shield.

-

max512wedge

Reaction score
I ordered part #910005 TCI trans shield for my 727 big block transmission that goes into my 72 duster. After I ordered it I read that some of the buyers couldn’t make it fit without modifying the trans tunnel or they couldn’t get it to mount over the transmission oil pan. I called TCI back and they said they have never heard about that problem and they don’t have anything in there database about it? So has anyone used this trans shield in their car and did you have any fitment issues.

IMG_1252.png

I ordered part #910005 TCI trans shield for my 727 big block transmission that goes into my 72 duster. After I ordered it I read that some of the buyers couldn’t make it fit without modifying the trans tunnel or they couldn’t get it to mount over the transmission oil pan. I called TCI back and they said they have never heard about that problem and they don’t have anything in there database about it? So has anyone used this trans shield in their car and did you have any fitment issues.

View attachment 1716259910
I can imagine it would take some modifications to the tunnel.
I use a flex plate shield and had to cut the firewall about 2 inches above where the factory tunnel was. Here's photo of what I ended up doing . Looking at that shield it should fit easier than the flex plate shield.
Hope this helps
IMG_20240526_181556058.jpg
IMG_20240520_135213844.jpg

Anytime you add something made for racing to a factory car (especially floor related) modification is required. Since Dusters never came with a big block everything is modified.

Did you actually have a fit issue or are you just over thinking what others wrote?

When I installed a 426 Hemi in my Cuda I had to add 1.5" spacers between the K member and the body mounts. It raised the body enough to make the Carbon Carbon fiber shield fit as well as give hood clearance for the Carbs

View attachment 1716259910
wouldn't work on y 68 fastback either....think their more for Chevrolets than mopars , ran then on my ''ex'' turbo 35yrs ago...

That's a pre written response that all people that answer phones or tech line questions have to memorise. That way they are not taking responsibility for there products that don't fit or work correctly

Anytime you add something made for racing to a factory car (especially floor related) modification is required. Since Dusters never came with a big block everything is modified.

Did you actually have a fit issue or are you just over thinking what others wrote?
Probably over thinking on what others wrote.

I bought a TCI Trans Shield for my 93 Daytona, small block with a 904 trans. I had to modify both sides to fit, and cut 1 1/2" out of the bottom to get it to fit. Had to make a new cable mount for the PPP shifter, and modify both exhaust collectors from hitting the shield. The right side collector has to move 2". I had a CSR shield paid for and on order for over a year, finally got my money back.

20240608_172904.jpg

20240608_172843.jpg

I bought a TCI Trans Shield for my 93 Daytona, small block with a 904 trans. I had to modify both sides to fit, and cut 1 1/2" out of the bottom to get it to fit. Had to make a new cable mount for the PPP shifter, and modify both exhaust collectors from hitting the shield. The right side collector has to move 2". I had a CSR shield paid for and on order for over a year, finally got my money back.

View attachment 1716260186

View attachment 1716260187
Quick question to run in the 9.80 range with the TCI trans shield do we need to run a flex plate shield also?

I would run all of the protection I could get. Years back when my partner and I ran Super Gas, we ran both. Luckily we only grenaded one transmission and the floor board need hust a little patching, it could have been a "LOT" worse.

Quick question to run in the 9.80 range with the TCI trans shield do we need to run a flex plate shield also?
Yes, it is required once you dip into the 9’s to have both a trans shield and flexplate shield. CSR will satisfy both requirements.

I would run all of the protection I could get. Years back when my partner and I ran Super Gas, we ran both. Luckily we only grenaded one transmission and the floor board need hust a little patching, it could have been a "LOT" worse.
Does the flex plate shield need to be 40.1 nhra compliant. I just don’t want to cut up my floors in my car. Or should I send the shields back to TCI and just get the 40.1 nhra legal blankets? And if I do cut out a section of my floor to make them fit what do I need to make that nhra compliant.

That's a pre written response that all people that answer phones or tech line questions have to memorise. That way they are not taking responsibility for there products that don't fit or work correctly
What he said ^^^^^^^ 100%.

No.

Blanket + flexplate shield
Thanks-Boosted-: I just ordered a trans blanket and I’ll use the TCI flexplate shield. And I’ll return the the TCI trans shield. With me having to raise the engine a little over 1/2 inch I sure hope I have enough room to do so without having to cut my trans tunnel.

Thanks-Boosted-: I just ordered a trans blanket and I’ll use the TCI flexplate shield. And I’ll return the the TCI trans shield. With me having to raise the engine a little over 1/2 inch I sure hope I have enough room to do so without having to cut my trans tunnel.
Which blanket did you get ?
Also what headers do you have?

-
Back