Has anyone tried using SprayMax 2K

-
It looks just like Eastwood's 2K paint which splattered so bad for me I ruined my sneakers and made a mess of the fender I was painting. A lot of guys like Rustoleum satin black or wrought iron black.

It looks just like Eastwood's 2K paint which splattered so bad for me I ruined my sneakers and made a mess of the fender I was painting. A lot of guys like Rustoleum satin black or wrought iron black.

I was thinking it was the same paint as well. Hence my question. It just does not make sense to buy a quart of automotive paint for my hood scoop.

I just had a real bad experience with the Rustoleum Satin Black. It crinkled, if I would let it sit to long and sprayed another coat over it. Or another senerio was some dust in it, so I went to sand those areas and that didnt sand well at all and I had to take all the paint off. It wouldnt feather and gummed up even after a week of sitting. Sadly Im sanding it again for my 4th time.. Im not happy and my finger tips are raw from the hand sanding certain areas.

I just want to find a good quality brand that will work well. I was told Krylon was good, but Im always open to other thoughts.

I've gone through about 6 cans of the 2k clear. Awesome stuff. Never used their colored paints, but if it's anything like the clear, I'd use it in a heartbeat over any other rattle cans.

I've gone through about 6 cans of the 2k clear. Awesome stuff. Never used their colored paints, but if it's anything like the clear, I'd use it in a heartbeat over any other rattle cans.

See you are now the other side of what I've read... It looks like some good quality stuff, so Im curious..

How has it held up?

See you are now the other side of what I've read... It looks like some good quality stuff, so Im curious..

How has it held up?

I did a base coat /clear coat on the nose of my 08 Saturn about 3 years ago. Looks better than the factory paint on the fenders.

I did a pair of saddle bags on my bike, cheap duplicolor black with spray max 2k clear over it - 2 years in and it looks great.

It does come out with a bit of peel, but let it lay and it flattens out really nice. The spray nozzle worked great for me, starting with a gravelly mist coat, followed immediately with a heavier coat. Let it tack up between coats and know that it will run if you go too heavy too fast.

The Spraymax products were introduced to the bodyshop I'm the painter for a couple of years ago and the set up some demo's. I was quite skeptical since it was an aerosol system and any of the traditional aerosol paints I ever used the spray tips were pretty lousy and would provide a course spray narrow spray pattern that would be a real challenge to do a decent job on anything very large in surface area. I was really impressed with the huge improvement they had achieved with their spray tips, a nice wide and fine pattern and in the case of the matt black it covered 3 times faster then the aerosol made by Marhyde that I had in my cabinet. Now my first choice for something like my snorkel scoop would be to spray it with my guns in the booth with a catalyzed base clear matt since its more durable but that's easy for me, if I needed to do this in my garage I would use the can of Spraymax Matt black that I have out there on the self for sure. They also have a system that the where the bodyshop supply can load some base coat that they mix for your need into an aerosol and your do your spot in then use their catalyzed aerosol clear to top coat it with and their blending solvent to make the leading edge of the clear to disappear and it turned out far nicer then I would have believed. The blending solvent works so well that AKZO (Sikkens) paint abandoned their own blender and have us using Spraymax's. I my opinion its a terrific product for the inexperienced and works great for a garage environment with little or no airflow.

The exterior emblems were done last June. The breather last month. The easiest paint I used. The pattern is much better than Rustoleum.

I did a base coat /clear coat on the nose of my 08 Saturn about 3 years ago. Looks better than the factory paint on the fenders.

I did a pair of saddle bags on my bike, cheap duplicolor black with spray max 2k clear over it - 2 years in and it looks great.

It does come out with a bit of peel, but let it lay and it flattens out really nice. The spray nozzle worked great for me, starting with a gravelly mist coat, followed immediately with a heavier coat. Let it tack up between coats and know that it will run if you go too heavy too fast.

Thank you for your input!

The Spraymax products were introduced to the bodyshop I'm the painter for a couple of years ago and the set up some demo's. I was quite skeptical since it was an aerosol system and any of the traditional aerosol paints I ever used the spray tips were pretty lousy and would provide a course spray narrow spray pattern that would be a real challenge to do a decent job on anything very large in surface area. I was really impressed with the huge improvement they had achieved with their spray tips, a nice wide and fine pattern and in the case of the matt black it covered 3 times faster then the aerosol made by Marhyde that I had in my cabinet. Now my first choice for something like my snorkel scoop would be to spray it with my guns in the booth with a catalyzed base clear matt since its more durable but that's easy for me, if I needed to do this in my garage I would use the can of Spraymax Matt black that I have out there on the self for sure. They also have a system that the where the bodyshop supply can load some base coat that they mix for your need into an aerosol and your do your spot in then use their catalyzed aerosol clear to top coat it with and their blending solvent to make the leading edge of the clear to disappear and it turned out far nicer then I would have believed. The blending solvent works so well that AKZO (Sikkens) paint abandoned their own blender and have us using Spraymax's. I my opinion its a terrific product for the inexperienced and works great for a garage environment with little or no airflow.

Hell of a write up. Thank you very much for your input!

Oh, one thing I did read is once you got the propellant into the can, it will only last about 24 hours, before its no longer any good. Can you confirm this?

The exterior emblems were done last June. The breather last month. The easiest paint I used. The pattern is much better than Rustoleum.

Great, thank you for your input as well!

Thank you for your input!

Hell of a write up. Thank you very much for your input!

Oh, one thing I did read is once you got the propellant into the can, it will only last about 24 hours, before its no longer any good. Can you confirm this?

The black I have is just the air dry product which I intend on using on my Honda's wiper arms the black your thinking of using is catalyzed so once you pierce the internal hardener canister you will need to use it within 24 hours and that version will outperform the stuff I have because it is a catalyzed paint. Hope that helps.

Here are a few shots. Out of sunlight, halogen rangetop was the best I had! Came out nice and even with 3 light coats of self etching primer, 2 coats Krylon.

Attachments

• breather.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 406
  • breather2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 392
  • breather3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 318
The only other paint I would recommend was Totally Auto. Redid my rally wheels with argent for the caps and their silver wheel paint and it was smooth and looked very correct. Trying to get the car ready for summer! Valve covers were done with 3 coats primer, 3 light coats Duplicolor Chrysler blue. First pic was outside the the lights sweet spot, looks like 68 Turquoise but isnt.

I am pretty sure once you start using the spraymax paint, that You have to use it all, or it goes bad. In other words, it being a 2K product it has a window for use, like when you mix paint to use in your spray gun, you can't put it back in the can. So make sure you can use it up, once you start using it.

barracudadave67

I picked up 2 cans of the Spraymax 2k paint and I have to say that this paint laid down nicely and I didnt have the spattering issue that others have had. The large spray pattern was a nice feature. I would for sure buy this paint again. Just wanted to throw out my 2 pennies.

Good to hear. I know some enamels if not recoated within 2 hours you have to wait 24 hours for a recoat.

-
Back