Have 2 cams. Which should I install?

-

screeminDemon

Reaction score
I've had some advice from u guys before (much appreciated!) on this 360 rebuild that I've been taking my time with. I'm ready to bolt on the top end now and finish this thing up. However - based on previous advice from u guys I'm havin serious doubts about the cam I have installed.

My 1976 engine is punched 30 over but otherwise bone stock, low comp.

Except the cam I put in it: Summit 1798, advertise duration 284 and 228 @ .050, .480 lift.

Is this cam gonna lower my compression even more? Should I just put the original 360 cam back in? It doesn't show any wear.

I could always save the summit cam for my next build. However I've already got stronger (dual) springs installed on my rebuilt heads (1.88 valve, mildly ported). Would I need to put the old springs back on?

At this point I don't want to spend any more money, I just want to get it done, but I want the best performance with what I have. Thanks for your input!

Oh my bad..

To really answer your question, either mill .060 from the heads for the summit cam or run the stock cam.

stock 360 compression is crummy, then consider the thicker replacement head gaskets .045'ish, rod resize .005-.006, vj recessing seats and valve head type...stacking of tolerances, to really get carried away.. that is.

Thanks for your input wildcrazy. What would you do if in my shoes:

1) mill the heads and use the big cam

2) just put the original 360 cam back in

I'm willing to spend another $100 to mill heads but I'm not gonna buy new pistons and re-do all the work I've already done. Thanks!

sorry I didn't see your 2nd post when I just sent my follow up question.
Thank-you very much for all the great info wildcrazy!

Mill the heads, stick in the Summit cam.
If he mills the heads, will the manifold still line up?? or would you have to mill that also?? I would put the summit cam in as is, make sure you centerline it, it is not THAT radical, IMO, more machine work is gonna cost $$$

Let me chime in. Years ago, I needed a running truck, so I threw together a 73 low comp 340, with a purple cam. Played with carb and timing l got it decent. Let a friend borrow it, he killed a 350 hopped Camero. Oh, it had 2.76 open gears.
Then sold it to a friend, he had so much fun with it. Sitting at the light, rumpety rump( it had no low end), 5.0 Mustang kids pull up, and what to race. They haul ***, then the cam comes alive in the truck(also 727 with kit), About the time the Mustang shifts into 3rd, the truck has already started it's pull; as the kids hit 3rd, the truck is beside them, hits 2nd, jumps 2 lengths, and now is really opening up. Mustang shuts down, so many times.
Low comp, big cam, tall gears, it takes some finnese to tune, and a dog off the line.

-
Back