having a little issue...

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so about a month ago the slant started poping the dip stick out... i would only notice cuz i was checking the oil.

then i stared to get an oil leak in between the pan, block, and the timing chain cover, that stupid triangle thing. and also blowing exsesive amount of "stuff" out the breather.

now if i hold an rpm above say 2700 is starts smoking, but its not out the exhaust. i know because the hole in the floor lets me know. and if i drop a gear and punch it there is a steady cloud behind me... sucks...

so im not sure if its doing this because its blowing oil onto the headers(but then why is there that much pressure) and if not wtf? the motor only has 6K on it and has a pcv valve.

thx guys

Crankcase pressure?I installed a evac system to burn-off any excessive oil from pressure.My engine is also new.Well it was,maybe about 200 miles on it(60 passes)

Crankcase pressure?I installed a evac system to burn-off any excessive oil from pressure.My engine is also new.Well it was,maybe about 200 miles on it(60 passes)

isn't that not normal tho to have that amout of pressure?

Yes, It sounds like you are sending compression to your crank case from the top or bottom. How much air is coming out of your dip stick tube, should not be any.
Makes me think a valve is not closing or a blown head gasket and sending compression into your engine

I would check your valves adjustment. What oil pressure are you seeing?
Frank

just ran the valves after having it smogged, .015 int and .021 exh. oil pressure is 75psi then once warm and is hell outside it will drop to about 50psi driving. idle when hell outside is like 25psi.

Yes, It sounds like you are sending compression to your crank case from the top or bottom. How much air is coming out of your dip stick tube, should not be any.
Makes me think a valve is not closing or a blown head gasket and sending compression into your engine

well i guess a leak down test in order. i'll check today for pressure out the dip stick.

mite have access to a leak down tester today...

...........get a new pcv valve and a new hose as it may be collasped inside..........kim......

k i'll try that. also had the boss follow me and he said it not smoking when we went up hills just when we went thru a slightly twisty spot. there is an oil burn mark on the headers so maybe pressure pushing oil onto headers?

so i did the comp test and tried the leak down test but i don't think it was working properly.

so comp test. in psi ( WOT with no plugs in)
#1=135
#2=133
#3=140
#4=135
#5=130
#6=90....

tried the leak down tester starting on number 6 and it read 20psi on the leak side with 100psi input. i could hear it very slightly thru the carb and in the breather hole.

so im thinking either valve seats, or guides...

oh and the plugs looked like little tan marshmallows! and that is with a 68 primary jet :>

Well #6 looks like a problem-I had about the same problem on a old VW dune buggy were one of the pistons melted down one side 'cause the rings end gap lined up (or I screwed up) and the hot exhaust gases eroded the piston away. What you need to do now is find out if it is valves or the piston/rings. Do you have a air compressor? You need to put #6 at TDC (same as #1) and put air into it using the spark plug hole. You may hear it coming out the intake/crank case.

Well #6 looks like a problem-I had about the same problem on a old VW dune buggy were one of the pistons melted down one side 'cause the rings end gap lined up (or I screwed up) and the hot exhaust gases eroded the piston away. What you need to do now is find out if it is valves or the piston/rings. Do you have a air compressor? You need to put #6 at TDC (same as #1) and put air into it using the spark plug hole. You may hear it coming out the intake/crank case.

yea i tried to do the leak down test but it was messin with me. for sure its not coming out of number 5. and it was hissing thru the carb slightly. today for a test i went up a steep hill and shifted to third and loaded it real hard with no issues so im not thinking rings...

Air out the carb. bad intake valve seal. Out breather hole is rings. Do you have the results for each cylinder on the leakdown test? How long and how much on each cyl.?

Air out the carb. bad intake valve seal. Out breather hole is rings. Do you have the results for each cylinder on the leakdown test? How long and how much on each cyl.?

no it was being funny. im going to try to do the leak down on all tomarrow, but also could be bad valve guide.

Remember to get both valves fully seated on the cyc your testing on your leak down test. I take off the valve cover so I can check the seals while I check for receiding valves at the same time.
Frank

Remember to get both valves fully seated on the cyc your testing on your leak down test. I take off the valve cover so I can check the seals while I check for receiding valves at the same time.
Frank

what do u mean by receding valves? like sinking a seat... and im gonna do the leak down test today. like i said before to is i just relashed the valves and those wern't tighter than when i lashed them before

so i did the leak down test with the valve cover off to make sure the valves were both closed and the rockers loose, and pulled the dip stick off so i could listen.

Leak down %loss
#1= 20%
#2= 74%
#3= 22%
#4= 71%
#5= 73%
#6= 92%
all of them i could feel thru the dipstick hole
i think its time for a drink...

When my slant Sebring started this I just put a rubber hose on the dipstick tube and caught all the oil in a gallon jug. Then every so often I just dumped it back in . Eventually the compression went so low it would no longer start, in the worst possible place of course. Lasted quite a while though.

When my slant Sebring started this I just put a rubber hose on the dipstick tube and caught all the oil in a gallon jug. Then every so often I just dumped it back in . Eventually the compression went so low it would no longer start, in the worst possible place of course. Lasted quite a while though.

im sure it wasn't at 6K miles tho...

-
Back