Head and cam selection help for 440

-
You’re going to spend X number of dollars.
What are you hoping to get from it?
That fundamental question has nothing to do with flow numbers.

If you don’t know what your own expectations are, then I don’t know what anyone could say to help you.

I already told you the “potential” of the TF heads is over 200hp more than the stock heads(they flow 100cfm more).
That doesn’t mean that when you bolt them on to a 425hp 440, and change NOTHING ELSE, that you’re now going to be making 625hp.

This one got a roller cam and 1.6 rockers, and the good intake manifold:
440 Chrysler Dyno Test: Trick Flow Heads & Intake

i understand that, i know its not going to add 200 more just by bolting them on, but im asking how much more should we expect it make by adding them and a better cam for them? i know more compression would be needed among others to see 625. I would like to see 550

I would love to see 550 hp and torque on mine..

I don’t think you’d get there without a different cam.

TF heads, head bolts, cam, lifters, rockers, pushrods....... about $3300.

And yes, you can get there with lesser heads....... that have been reworked....... but it won’t really change the price very much.

Well....... I take that back....... you can make the 550hp with something like an ootb Ede head(with a spring upgrade)...... if...... you can live with the big honkin not-street-friendly cam(and, it’ll also kill off a fair amount of low end TQ).

Last edited:
thats doable for that money! Thanks. And as far as lesser heads, are there ANY out there at all that are less that WILL do as well as the trickflows? The reason im asking is that i see used heads on here from time to time, like currently someone has some stage VI in the for sale section for a nice price that are ready to run i believe..but again, i dont know much about the rest, only that the trick flows are supposed to be the best, and then theres all the rest and i dont know which others all decent or not. I have seen many people like the 440 source or this or that but not sure again on how well any of them do over the stock irons.

Crap, i think we were posting at the same time..i just saw what you said about the edelbrocks, ok, so are you saying if using the edelbrocks instead of the trickflows i would need a more radical cam to make the same 550HP? Or would i still need the not friendly cam with the trickflows too?

Last edited:
ok, so are you saying if using the edelbrocks instead of the trickflows i would need a more radical cam to make the same 550HP?

Yes.

Unless you’re buying something used thats clearly “superior” to the TF head(and there isn’t much that comes to mind for this type of application).......

If buying new ........You can’t get to the level of flow, and overall quality/fit & finish of the TF for the same money.
You can spend more to get there..... but you won’t find it for less, unless someone is giving away free labor.

Yes.

Unless you’re buying something used thats clearly “superior” to the TF head(and there isn’t much that comes to mind for this type of application).......

If buying new ........You can’t get to the level of flow, and overall quality/fit & finish of the TF for the same money.
You can spend more to get there..... but you won’t find it for less, unless someone is giving away free labor.
ok thanks for this info! Tell me the deal on needing a more radical cam with the edelbrocks to make 550 than the trickflows would need.. just want to learn.. Im GUESSING that the trickflows flow more air ootb than the edelbrocks so would need less cam to make 550 and the edelbrocks would need MORE cam to make 550? Is this correct or even close?

You got it.

The motor needs air to make power.

If the heads flow less, you need to hold the valves open longer to try and make up for the missing flow.

and the longer the valves stay open, the less cylinder pressure is made, resulting in loss of torque..correct? The trickflows will be what i end up with. Thank you for the help! Wanna give me some advice on which cam to go with these heads?..lol

In order to really exploit the TF heads, I’d use a SFT cam.
For 550hp, I’d be looking at something around 250@.050, mid-500’s or so for lift.

Something along the lines of a Lunati voodoo 30230742.

For 550hp, I’d be looking at something around 250@.050, mid-500’s or so for lift.
what brands? I have always heard about chrysler having a wider lifter and better to use a real chrysler grind blah, blah..

I added a grind above.

I try not to get caught up in all the cam debates...... but for street cars I generally don’t use the “fastest, most aggressive” lobes out there.

Any of the well known cam grinders could supply a suitable cam to make 550hp from that combo.

Thanks, will definately write that lunati cam number down. One other thing i am wondering about..so i have right at 9.5:1 with the open chamber 88cc stocks heads, i just realized the trick flows are 78 cc which is going to jack the compression up, do you think this will be ok or will detonate? also, will the valves still clear the pistons?

The compression will go up about a point...... but you’ll gain quench.
So long as the cam doesn’t get “too big”, the v/p clearance should be okay.

As always....... it should be checked.

All of your concerns are things you have to consider when planning out your build.
In the end, It’s up to you to decide what parts you’re comfortable using.

The compression will go up about a point...... but you’ll gain quench.
So long as the cam doesn’t get “too big”, the v/p clearance should be okay.

As always....... it should be checked.

you dont think i will have to mill the deck to get a zero deck to make the quench 'ideal' so it wont detonate, because i dont really want to deck it..I know the closed chamber will up the quench but it WILL indeed be in a good zone to not detonate you think? Dont know if im saying this right..but i know they always want zero deck to make an 'ideal' quench number, so im asking that being im NOT decking it and the piston is down in the hole like .012, the closed chamber wont make a 'bad' quench area and detonate?

Last edited:
You can adjust the gasket thickness if needed.

These are all just normal issues to work through on any type of HP build.

If you’re at 9.5:1 now with 2355 pistons and 88cc heads, the pistons can’t be very far down the hole....... otherwise it wouldn’t be 9.5:1

Something along the lines of a Lunati voodoo 30230742.

wow! looking at the specs of that lunati cam, thats a lot of lift..are you sure it wont be a piston to valve issue? i know its got to be checked when assembling but man that is a lot of lift!
Duration 288/296, Lift .586/.606, Chrysler Big Block,

Thats the kind of lift it takes to get to 550hp. I don't think your 4 gear tranny is going to like it.

Thats a good thing. Now you have to think about a good converter.

Got a 3000 stahl in it now that works quite well, should stall higher with more torque..

Where is the piston when the valve is at max lift?

My Lunati catalog shows the lift for the 742 cam is .566/.586

I was looking at the Summit website and the Trick Flow heads are out of stock. Since Summit owns Trick Flow I would bet Hughes can't get those heads right now either.

Where is the piston when the valve is at max lift?

My Lunati catalog shows the lift for the 742 cam is .566/.586
weird..when i copied and pasted your part number it cam up with'Duration 288/296, Lift .586/.606, Chrysler Big Block', the .556/.586 sound more reasonable..lol

-
Back