header question

-

thestover

Reaction score
I am considering putting a set of headers on my 69 swinger,I am about to install rebuilt motor with original 340 manifolds. As you know things are very tight under the hood, and my exhaust installer said they are a P#&@K because its so tight with the torsion bars etc.Would I notice much difference if I spent the money on headers and what kind are the best to use. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Steve.

If you are putting an engine in it's the perfect time to install headers. 90% of the hassles of header installation becomes a non issue if you do it with an engine install.

I have Hedmans in my 68 Barracuda and the fit is real good. They clear everything including power steering. The only down side is 3 of the tubes on the drivers side wrap under the center steering link reducing ground clearance. I don't really think that is an issue with a car that is at a stock ride height. In the 15k miles they have been on the car the only time they have touched is going i an out of the garage to quickly. I have about a 4" difference between the drive way and garage floor with a very short ramp into the garage.

TTI is the only choice for full length headers that avoids the center link issue but you will pay anywhere from twice to 3 times as much for them.

TTI.... it really is your only option - they fit, you can get to the bolts, and plugs and you wont hit the ground with them...

you get what you pay for...

and that dart ain that bad.. try having an early a body - that has 2" less width in the engine bay!

Plug access with the Hedmans is as easy as putting a socket on the end of an extention if you use 5/8" hex plugs. Mopar switched to the smaller hex plug with the magnum motors and the thread and reach are the same. I use an Autolite 3923 (one heat range cooler than stock) on my 360.

I agree
Wire the headers over to the side of the bay and then put the engine in, drop the center link on driver side. Use the small new mopar starter and you can install it after the engine is in. I have hookers in my 69. Before I installed the headers, I welded on a couple "knee pad" patches on the low tubes, to help when, and if you scrape the ground, (inevitable) with headers in an A-Body. I made the patches out of pieces of exhaust pipe. And as stated, plugs are no issue.

With my Headmans you can even swap out a full size starter with out unbolting the header. Just disconnect the inner tie rod on the drivers side from the center link and crank the wheel all the way to the right and there is plenty of room so snake it out and in. The small stater you can swap without disconnecting the link.

-
Back