Header to steering coupler

-

MoparMark91

Reaction score
I know there is past posts about this but I'm having the issue of number ú header tube hitting the steering couple, what is the correct solution for this?

Shim steering column and steering box?

No don't want to dent header unless absolutely necessary

Grind coupler?

Replacement coupler or universal joint not priced arm and leg?

71 dart swinger power steering

Will post picture once I get home from work

I had the coupler hitting my header problem as well, I grinded the four corners off the steering coupler and marked where it was hitting and put a very VERY small dimple in the header tube .
Hooker super comps fender well headers on my 360 in a 66 Valiant

20200301_114533.jpg

20200301_124511.jpg

20200222_172806.jpg

I know there is past posts about this but I'm having the issue of number ú header tube hitting the steering couple, what is the correct solution for this?

Shim steering column and steering box?

No don't want to dent header unless absolutely necessary

Grind coupler?

Replacement coupler or universal joint not priced arm and leg?

71 dart swinger power steering

Will post picture once I get home from work
ive seen some people buy a cv joint style coupler, its a bit smaller than the factory one, they end up welding one end to the column. Not sure on price, but its a solution

Denting a header isnt uncommon. Other than cosmetic it has no ill effect to performance. Also some have shimmed engine up slightly on one side for a little room.

Denting a header isnt uncommon. Other than cosmetic it has no ill effect to performance. Also some have shimmed engine up slightly on one side for a little room.
I just honestly didn't want to have to pull everything back apart lol I know it sounds lazy but like is there something almost like the flaming river coupler but cheaper that would work?

I just honestly didn't want to have to pull everything back apart lol I know it sounds lazy but like is there something almost like the flaming river coupler but cheaper that would work?

Headers suck to install. Headers double suck for the early A’s. There just isn’t much room in the engine bay.

well, sounds lazy but if you click the link that was posted earlier, there's one listed for half of the price of flaming river's...

or you can go here and get them for 20 bucks on up and pick one that will fit the mopar box and shaft

Steering Couplers - Universal

Not wanting to dent, flex, bend, shim, or hack a factory floor shift column I bough a Framing River B-Body Drop in tilt column. Cut the D shaft shorter and it dropped in, no problem. Has a slider built into the column too which you would be defeating by putting a fix U-joint coupler on in place of the factory one. I wasn't happy spending $600 but I got tilt, which I wanted. Down side is the stock steering wheels don't fit without removing the key and even then they gap away from the column. So figure an aftermarket wheel too.

Mopar Products

I had same problem with a set of CPPA headers in my 69 360 Dart. Buy the flaming river joint. You only have to buy it once and your done.

Last edited:
So before I left for work today I looked at it and I should of taken a picture but I decided to go the flaming river coupler I know it wasbpticey but like above said buy once and done so I just went ahead and did it, got the last one from summit in stock. They had 2 kinds ps and non ps. So got the ps one I will report back when I get it I'm trying to get it driveable by Friday cause some shady lowrider guys keep driving by slowly looking at my car and I want to get it out of sight out of mind in case they try to do something stupid. Got a list of things to knock out the next 2 days so I can take her out for her first spin and get her out of sight

Good luck and load your gun.
Yeah my dad called me about it, just need to get through tonight driveshaft should be here tomorow, my wife on lookout. I would have it in my shop but I have no way of moving it right now. Bullshit I have to worry about **** like this but thanks again guys for the help and if I have to take care of business I will tell you guys lol. K just don't get ppl my dad always taught me never mess with a man's ride because a lot of times that's his escape.

-
Back