Header to trans. line and shifter cable clearance

-

69GT

Reaction score
I put a big block with a 727 in my 69 Dart. I also installed a set of full length TTI headers. While neither of the trans. lines are touching the header tubes, there is only about 1/2" of gap at the closest spot. Do you think this will be an issue with heating the trans. fluid? I've done some searching on this topic online with mixed results. Some say that as long as the lines aren't touching there won't be a problem while others say there will be and the lines should be wrapped with something. Also, my Hurst ProMatic shifter cable gets to within 1" of one header tube which is about the furthest away I can keep the cable. The instructions say 1 1/2" should be the minimal clearance. Again, do you think this will be an issue or should I wrap the cable as well? If I were to wrap both, would header heat wrap work?

If increasing clearance isn't possible, then you can buy insulating material (e.g header wrap, spark plug wire insulation, etc.) for either header tube or the cooler lines/cable. The volume of fluid traveling through the cooler lines won't significantly heat up through brief exposure to a hot spot. I think a greater concern would be if you somehow developed a cooler line leak that close to the header tube. I would worry about the cable getting damaged, or melting, close to a header tube.

I can't get the cable away from the header tube any further due to the cable mounting bracket's location. I also can't move the lines any further away without replacing them completely and somehow rerouting them. I think I'll try some header wrap on both and hopefully that will take care of any potential problems. Maybe if I double up the wrap as well.

i like the turbo action shifter because the cable goes around the rear of the trans and is easy to keep it away from the headers.

Use some heat wrap where it's close. What would be the down side to this? Nothing!

-
Back