Headers/Complete Exhaust System ?????

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
Hi All! I know alot of people say to just 'suck it up" and go with the TTI headers and exhaust because they fit these cars the best but has anyone had any luck with different brands for a 1967-1969 Barracuda? SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY FITS WITHOUT BANGING THEM UP OR AROUND I GUESS? Who out there makes a complete system and what brand would you recomend (other than TTI !!) I just want to get a feel for what fits and looks best on our cars. Thanks in advance.

My '68 is a street car with a 318. I have Hedman, they're inexpensive and drop right in. I like them, with Flowmasters I get alot of compliments on how it sounds.

Thanks cudachaser! I always heard that with Hedman you had to "tweek" them to fit. You had no issues? Have any pics of your engine bay? WHat are you running for a system after the headers? Thanks, cool car! How do you like the Convo Pro's ?

I think that any header has the potential to be drop in.

The problem is that the jigs they use to produce the headers wear out fast. The first 50 sets might be perfect, then they start going donwhill.

I have a cheap brand X $79 set, and with the exception of a slight bit of idler arm contact on the right side, they fit around everything perfectly (even power steering box).

Superdart! Looks like you found a way around that idler " There are no problems in life which cannot be solved through suitable applications of high explosives"

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the reply.

ok i ran the headmans on my dart for years. they didn't need to be dented or anything to fit.. they do hang low wich really sucks and #5 and 7 plugs i think it is are a little hard to get to with the cheap headders... along with plug wires on those two plugs get burnt pretty easy because of the way you have to run them... i do agree that the TTI headders are over priced but man do they fit.. i bit the bullet and got a set and will never buy the cheap ones again... all the plugs are easy to get to.. all the bolts are easy to get to.. i can't ever see scraping them on a bump because they tuck up under the car so nice and the quality of them are second to none.... plus they were way easier to install then any of the hookers or headmans i have installed over the years.... i say get the TTI headders...

now the full exhaust is another story... i priced it out recently for my dart and i can do it quite a bit cheaper by getting the stuff from summit or jeggs then buying it from TTI. then again i have a very good exhaust guy local that i would supply the mufflers tips etc. to and he would just bend and install the pipes...

look how easy those plugs are to get to and run wires to... can't beat it..

normal_DSC02539.JPG

normal_DSC02542.JPG

and look at the ground clearance.. gotta love that.

normal_DSC02553.JPG

My headers work great, no plug problems. One tube (the front) goes through the K-frame. It has been years but I think the brand was Headman or Hooker.

IM000767.jpg

I've got TTI's and I had to "finesse" them in. I kind of regret spending the money, I could have used the money on other items for sure. I think if I had to do it again, I would try the cheaper method before spending the coin I spent on a complete TTI system.

rumblefish360 said:
Inside of a JEGS catolog, they have a complete system. They recomend that you use Hooker Comp, not the super comp, headers. Then they have there pipes from the header back with or without mufflers. W/mufflers @ $219.99 I think it was.
1st part number on the list, 555-30500, click on more details.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=21909&parentCategoryId=10253&langId=-1

a freind has a jeggs systen on his challenger... it fits ok. but its not great pipe if you ask me. but i may be spoild by the local exhaust guy..

1968FormulaS340 said:
My headers work great, no plug problems. One tube (the front) goes through the K-frame. It has been years but I think the brand was Headman or Hooker.

i have seen them before.. i think they are more a race headder if i remember and not the "cheap" headders.

Suregrip
I'm not literate enough to post photos, but there are some in the photo garage. There is a trick to get to a couple of the plugs but it's no big deal, I used 2 Mr. Gasket(cardboard type for thickness) gaskets on each side and they seated right down; no leaks. I know for high performance type minded individuals these are cheap headers. They work great for my purpose.
I had a local shop run 2.5" pipes out the side in front of the rear tires, running the 28x12.5x15's my rear tires bottom out before my headers scrap, no problems. I have Gibson tips, that's all up to personal tastes. I'm using Flowmaster 50 Delta Flows, they are a little quieter in the car and they also come in a thinner model than the 40's; sounds great.
Love the Convo's, I still have the small bolt pattern and it's hard to find non-custom 15" rims in a 5x4. I have 165's on 15x4's on the front, 15x10's on the rear. I'm going for a throw-back funny car look, it works for me.

-
Back