Headers for 67 barracuda 318 with no modifications

-

67sfFish

Reaction score
Hello Mopar friends, I’m wondering what headers will fit on a 67 barracuda with a 318 with no modifications, I was told Doug headers would & are there different ones for 273,340&360? I’m still kinda new to all the differences and imagine different heads would probably use different headers, thanks for helping me learn this stuff in advance!

Well, a 318 never came stock in a 67 Barracuda, so you should probably be looking at listings for a 1968 Barracuda 318. The general consensus is that the only headers that are a clean fit are TTI. Doug's, Hooker, etc. all require bashing or bending, or so I have heard.

Be aware that running a second tailpipe over the axle in a 67 is difficult because of how the fuel tank strap is secured on the right side. It can be done, but it will be tight, and you can't run a big pipe. 2-inch or less is recommended.

Well, a 318 never came stock in a 67 Barracuda, so you should probably be looking at listings for a 1968 Barracuda 318. The general consensus is that the only headers that are a clean fit are TTI. Doug's, Hooker, etc. all require bashing or bending, or so I have heard.

Be aware that running a second tailpipe over the axle in a 67 is difficult because of how the fuel tank strap is secured on the right side. It can be done, but it will be tight, and you can't run a big pipe. 2-inch or less is recommended.
Thanks! And for the tip on the gas tank strap! It’s originally a 273 car but I acquired it as a roller and have a 318 and lots of parts for it but still not totally sure of what motor I’m going to use.

doug's or TTI, you'll likely have to massage some shifting linkage depending on what you're running operationally transmission wise, but nothing major.

The tri-y headers by Sanderson or Schumacher is another out side of the TTI and Doug’s that fit pretty good if you can find a set not sure they make them any more. I have a set on my car right now. Regardless of the manufacture and factory tolerances. What fits perfect on one car may not be the case on another.

Why bother,
AFAIK there are only two good reasons for to run a header, namely;
Scavenging and Inertial tuning; neither of which are desirable on a stock 318.

The stock cam has like 20* of overlap, so scavenging is not gonna occur.
Inertial tuning sure but to what effect?
You are likely running gears in the window of 2.76 to 3.23s, Your rpm is gonna be in the basement about 80% of the time., and the engine heavily throttled, perhaps 95% of the time. Headers for you, are more or less dead weight and a waste of money.

Buy a torque-convertor instead.
Money way better spent.
I like a 2800.

Why bother,
AFAIK there are only two good reasons for to run a header, namely;
Scavenging and Inertial tuning; neither of which are desirable on a stock 318.

The stock cam has like 20* of overlap, so scavenging is not gonna occur.
Inertial tuning sure but to what effect?
You are likely running gears in the window of 2.76 to 3.23s, Your rpm is gonna be in the basement about 80% of the time., and the engine heavily throttled, perhaps 95% of the time. Headers for you, are more or less dead weight and a waste of money.

Buy a torque-convertor instead.
Money way better spent.
I like a 2800.
counter point: headers sound frikkin' cool.

-
Back