Headers for a 70' Dart Swinger

-

JungleCrow

Reaction score
I have a 70' Dart with a 383 engine in it. I want to get some headers for it but I cant find anything for that engine that is made to fit the car. Obviously since in 1970 they didnt make a production Dart with a 383 option. I dont really want to resort to fenderwell headers if I dont have to. My question is this... Would headers made for a 383 in a 69' dart fit my 70'? Or are the under carriages and body frame different? For example these headers? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9141/?rtype=10 Has anyone tried something like this?

I used Schumachers on my 71. Fit great with power steering and column shift. 3/8" flanges, heavy tubes, $525 uncoated plus $30 shipping.

They did not put BB in the A bodys after 69 as the E body was out in 70 and much more suted for it than the A's were. If it is a street car you may not want to run fenderwells any way. You will have to run a short skinny tire and even with that you will not be abe to turn all the way with out the tire hitting them.

The only reason why I dont want to run fenderwells is because there is a 1970 383 engine in a car that didnt have the option for the year. So until I get on the right track of finding out why I would like to leave this original car untouched as far as body goes.

BB convershions are very comen now a days. I am sure some one swaped it in there. Whats the 5th digit in the vin?

They did not put BB in the A bodys after 69 as the E body was out in 70 and much more suted for it than the A's were. If it is a street car you may not want to run fenderwells any way. You will have to run a short skinny tire and even with that you will not be abe to turn all the way with out the tire hitting them.

I know they didnt put a BB in the A bodies. I havent heard of any "special" cars made that year with a BB and I was just wondering if I was missing something? The wheel clearance is another reason why I wanted to stay away from them. Im a certified aviation welder and machinist with CNC experience. Unfortunately I dont have a shop to work out of anymore. I was hoping I could use a header for a BB A body of a different year. Thanks for the help again.

BB convershions are very comen now a days. I am sure some one swaped it in there. Whats the 5th digit in the vin?

I have no clue since I just got the car and Im not home to look at it. I was bored during this trip Im on and was trying to save time for when I did get home by doing some research now on the car. Mainly so I can have a parts list ready when I get back.

I here you. Ya all the A bodys from 67-76 have the same size engine bay. Sorry I get cornfused some times....er ok mabby all the time. LOL

I here you. Ya all the A bodys from 67-76 have the same size engine bay. Sorry I get cornfused some times....er ok mabby all the time. LOL

No problem. So the engine bay, firewall and undercarriage around the tans tunnel is virtually the same being an A body? Also with fenderwells, do all of them have tire clearance issues? Is it easy to avoid with a smaller diameter wheel and small wall thickness tire?

67 and up a-bodies are available on two platforms - 111" Darts/Valiants and 108" 67-69 Barracudas and Duster/Demon/Dart Sports. They all share the identical front clip, and virtually identical underchassis. BB were available in 67 to 69 including 383/440. With the exception of power steering, transmission type, the exhaust routing is identical between models.

Grant

67 and up a-bodies are available on two platforms - 111" Darts/Valiants and 108" 67-69 Barracudas and Duster/Demon/Dart Sports. They all share the identical front clip, and virtually identical underchassis. BB were available in 67 to 69 including 383/440. With the exception of power steering, transmission type, the exhaust routing is identical between models.

Grant

I figured so but didnt want to assume. Thanks for clearing that up :cheers:

Thanks for the info! After looking and reading some more on "semi fender well header" it seems they give a lot more tire clearance. Anyone have experience with these?

I saw that site but it says you cant order from there. But I found a site to purchase them from. THanks a bunch!

-
Back