Headlight and wiper switch removal - 64 Valiant pushbutton

-

Wally-T

64 Signet
Reaction score
Hi guys. I tried to remove the headlight/wiper/push button shift assembly on my 64 Valiant a while back but it wouldn't budge. I removed the screws from the front but it was stuck solid. Anybody know what else I need to remove to get this assembly out.
Thanks

On the headlight switch reach behind the dash and find the little pushbutton on one of the sides. Push it and the knob and shaft should come out. Unscrew the funny looking nut (might have to hold the light switch) and the switch will come right out From the back. The wiper knob is held on by a little Allen screw. Remove the knob and follow the same procedure as the light switch. DON’T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!

On the headlight switch reach behind the dash and find the little pushbutton on one of the sides. Push it and the knob and shaft should come out. Unscrew the funny looking nut (might have to hold the light switch) and the switch will come right out From the back. The wiper knob is held on by a little Allen screw. Remove the knob and follow the same procedure as the light switch. DON’T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!
Thank you Dartman. I seem to remember removing switch shafts that way like 40 years ago and I don't think I've touched one since. Any idea how to remove the push button assembly?

Doesn’t the face plate just slip over the buttons? Never gad one with push uttons so that’s aniut the extent of my help in that regards

Thank you Dartman. I seem to remember removing switch shafts that way like 40 years ago and I don't think I've touched one since. Any idea how to remove the push button assembly?
You need to get the plastic face plate off first. You've already got info to remove the switch knobs and nuts. There is also a allen head set screw for the park lever too. Once you get all that off, you can see how the push button assembly mounts. If you're going to reuse it, be careful not to bend anything or kink a cable. Take care with the park lever spring also, and lube the wear points before you put it back together.

You need to get the plastic face plate off first. You've already got info to remove the switch knobs and nuts. There is also a allen head set screw for the park lever too. Once you get all that off, you can see how the push button assembly mounts. If you're going to reuse it, be careful not to bend anything or kink a cable. Take care with the park lever spring also, and lube the wear points before you put it back together.
Thanks. I got the wiper and ignition switches loose and removed the bezel but there was no way I could get the ignition switch down far enough to even get the plug off of it. I wonder if they were running short on wire the day they built it lol. I tried for 20 minutes to manipulate that thing out of there! Finally had to put it back together so we could move vehicles around in the shop. I haven't got the flexibility I used to so I may have to remove the front seat and lay on my back to see if the wires are somehow secured under there or just wrapped around something.
I'll post the results.

Thanks. I got the wiper and ignition switches loose and removed the bezel but there was no way I could get the ignition switch down far enough to even get the plug off of it. I wonder if they were running short on wire the day they built it lol. I tried for 20 minutes to manipulate that thing out of there! Finally had to put it back together so we could move vehicles around in the shop. I haven't got the flexibility I used to so I may have to remove the front seat and lay on my back to see if the wires are somehow secured under there or just wrapped around something.
I'll post the results.
I guess I'm confused. What has the ignition switch got to do with pulling the push button shifter?

-
Back